Friday, September 20, 2013

アメリカ山公園 | America Mountain Park

I spent a day in Yokohama last month, exploring the Motomachi area. While exiting the subway station, I spotted a sign that said: 公園[ko-en = park].  I have loved parks since living in Bangkok, so why not check out this one? The location was really unique -- it was on top of the roof of the subway station building!

While the name reads (in English) America Mountain Park, there are no mountains. But it's quite a lovely garden, filled with many roses. Let's take a look around....

In the distance--the elevator from the subway station:


Antique lamp:


Wooden benches with Yokohama's Marine Tower in the distance:

When I came across this area of the park, filled with wooden benches perfect for reading a book on, I was even more surprised to find...

....a real, green lawn, with real grass!! Joy!!! ^_^

For those who live in Japan, you'll know it's a very, very rare sight to see real grass. The summers are just too hot to support watering a lawn. As a result, all the parks and play areas at schools here are covered with sand or fine gravel. Finding this green grass was just too tempting....

... so I took off my sneakers and enjoyed bare feet on the grass! Woo!! ^_^ (Luckily, no one saw me)


After putting my shoes back on, I enjoyed the roses in this area. This was my favorite:

The sign read 夢 [yu-me = dream], which I thought was appropriate.

I meandered over to find a large, open area...





To the left of this area, was a lovely English style garden, with more benches and lots of greenery:




If you continue to walk straight, heading slightly uphill, you'll soon approach the park's gate:


 A signpost just outside the gate points to way to several sightseeing spots and the train station:

This park is completely free. Weddings can be held in the garden; there is a wedding planner on the 3rd floor of the subway building. Usually weddings in Japan start at ¥125,000  (ceremony only - $1,250). 

If you exit the park and continue to walk uphill, you'll soon reach the Foreigner's Cemetery, where many former foreign residents of Yokohama are buried. It may sound morbid, but actually, it's a nice walk too...and completely shaded by numerous trees -- perfect on a hot day.

Access: from Yokohama station, take the Toyoko-Minato Mirai Line to Motomachi-Chukagai. Take the Motomachi exit. Once you exit the ticket gate, turn right and follow the escalator up to the roof. The park is there. 日本語はここここです。English site is HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment