Monday, May 5, 2014

Arabian Daze - 9

Did you enjoy yesterday's post which showcased the great Nizwa Fort in Oman? Let's continue the full day tour of Nizwa then! Today's post will feature two world heritage sites, yet another fort and an ancient hill tribe village. Please enjoy the photos. ^_^

This was not part of the tour, but I requested the guide to stop. The main reason being I had read about these unique and very old waterways in Oman, which had become listed as a world heritage site. Built over 2,000 years ago, I was impressed that it was still being used today as a way of delivering water to various regions in Oman. It was called Falaj Daris. 

Sign: 
 Water canal: 

Another canal: 

Building & garden near the canals: 
We saw some Omanis enjoying picnic lunches in the park behind this building.
I was told not to take photos of families by the guide, so sorry! 

Next, our driver stopped for a brief visit to an abandoned village. This was the remnants of an ancient tribe, who used the landscape around them for their living.

Houses: 

Part of the stone wall was used for houses: 

 You can see doorways and windows, carved into the rocks: 


My friend and I were fascinated with Arabic letters, 
so I snapped a photo of a license plate in Oman: 


We enjoyed a quick stop at yet another world heritage site. This was Bahla Fort. You can read more on this fort HERE
I see two smiley faces and one surprised "Oh!" face.
Can you spot them? ^_^

I thought this fort was quite cute...Look! The guard tower looked so happy to be there!

Cutenekko in front of Bahla Fort: 

There is still much to show you from Nizwa, in Oman. I hope you'll visit again to see. ^_^

~ Information ~ 

This trip was part of a full day tour called "Enchanting Forts of Nizwa". It takes 9 hours to complete the tour. Cost and information is HERE. (on Viator. com)

Interested in traveling to Oman? A great tourism site is HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment