Friday, July 11, 2014

Canadian Embassy Visit

At the end of May, I received an invitation to attend a special luncheon in Tokyo hosted by the Canadian Ambassador's wife. As a member of the Canadian social group, Canadian Women in Japan, I was able to enjoy this event with about twenty other ladies.

When I arrived at the embassy, I had to give my name to the security guards at the main gate. They actually had "a list" and checked for my name.  My first VIP experience = priceless. ^_^

I had never been to this yearly event before, so when I asked a groundskeeper for directions to "Marler House" I was expecting a small cottage. This was the actual place: 

Whoa! @_@
Marler House is the official residence to the Canadian Ambassador to Japan
Marler House was designed by Kenneth G.Rea and Antonin Raymond. According to an information pamphlet, the building is in a neo-classical style. The main dining hall, in which we held our luncheon, can seat up to 34 guests.

My seat placing looked like this; I was surprised at the opulence:
So this is where my tax dollars go, eh? (laugh)

Here is a close up of the menu for the luncheon. I was really excited about the main dish -- Atlantic salmon! Cats love fish, especially salmon. ^_^

The table had a lot of uniquely Canadian accents, for example, 
this paperweight in the shape of a maple leaf:

... silverware with the crest of Canada:

... even the wine glass had an etched maple leaf: 

I met a number of very interesting women at this function. A Japanese woman next to me immigrated to Canada and even played violin in the New Brunswick Youth Orchestra. Another woman was a military officer, heading back home; yet another Japanese woman had lived in Nova Scotia. It *almost* brought a tear to my eye hearing all the stories of life back home.

The ladies:

The chef, from Ontario, Canada, whipped up a feast for both the eyes and palate. Enjoy the mouthwatering photos!

The first course, caramelized carrot bisque:


Roasted cauliflower salad:

Atlantic salmon!! Yum!! 

Strawberry peach tart: 

This event was very fun; however, after exiting through the gate, I reflected on one point:
I should try and get a job working for the Canadian government. (laugh)


~ Information ~ 

The Embassy of Canada is located in Aoyama, Tokyo. It's open to the public. There are numerous art exhibits and a library full of Canadian books. 

Access: 
Tokyo Metro, Aoyama 1 Chome station. Walk to the Embassy in under 5 minutes. A map is HERE

For Canadian women in Japan, especially in Tokyo, you can become a member of the club mentioned in this blog post. (website HERE). During the summer months, the club members are on hiatus. 
Events start again from September. 



No comments:

Post a Comment