Friday, January 16, 2015

Yamato Antique Flea Market

Every month, on the third Saturday, a city which borders both Kanagawa and Tokyo prefectures, hosts a large flea market in the city center, across from the train station. I have been once or twice before; this time, I brought my camera and snapped lots of photos.

Flea markets are quite popular with both Japanese and expats living in the country. The most popular items are old kimono and obi (a highly decorated waist sash wore with the kimono). If you buy a new kimono, the price is often over $2,000! These slightly used, but still lovely kimonos sell between ¥1,000 ~ ¥5,000 ($10 ~ 50), hence their popularity.

However, I love art and objects, so my camera aimed for these. I hope you enjoy the photos.^_^

Left to right, top to bottom:
Hello Kitty hand luggage, ceramic pot, a very happy bear head, cast iron lanterns.



I love unique things and this hand-made purse caught my eye. It was made from wood, shaped in a small rectangle and when opened, revealed a simple enclosure.

In the square in front of the train station, a small stage was set up for musicians to perform. This man played acoustic guitar quite well. While I was standing and listening to the music, a very drunk, old Japanese man stumbled up to me and said "Hello! Where are you from?" and (seriously, I am not lying here) "Would you marry me?" After escaping, I wondered why blonde girls in Japan attract the worst kind of attention. ?? 
                                 
                                              Photo taken just before I was accosted by the drunk, desperate-to-marry guy

The day was about to get weirder, as I walked though the rows of stalls, I found some truly bizarre things for sale. Here is the best of the weird:

A monk talking to ... a frog. 
The piece above was incredibly heavy too. Made of cast iron, I believe, the price tag underneath said $250. The size was smaller than my hand. I wanted to know if this piece was cast as a representation of some famous Japanese folk tale, but the vendor was not very talkative. 


 A huge wooden and very phallic, statue.
I went by this piece several times and each time, onlookers were crowding around it, commenting "Scary!" and "It's huge!". It looks to be of Polynesian origin; I would guess a fertility God of some kind? I couldn't stop staring at the alien headed penis. The price tag said ¥80,000 or $800. No one bought it. 

The last item wasn't strange, but I liked it very much. I love bright colors, which is a warm relief from the many dark suits and clothes I see Japanese women wearing. This bag caught my eye. I loved all the stitching and wondered, from which country did this come? Eastern Europe? India? Thailand? I couldn't put my finger on it, which perhaps added to its appeal.
I really regret not buying this. It's cool. 

Many English language newspapers publish details regarding flea markets in the Tokyo and Kanagawa areas. Please join many locals and expats, seeking their next treasure.

Information

Access:
Yamato Antique Flea Market is held every 3rd Saturday of the month, rain or shine.
Open 06.00 ~ 16.00. 

Next event is Saturday, January 17, 2015 (today!!) 

From Yokohama: Take the Sotetsu train going towards Ebina. Get off at Yamato Station. (20 minutes)

From Tokyo: Take the Odakyu train going to Odawara. Get off at Yamato Station. (1 hour from Shinjuku) 

Useful websites

List of Flea Markets in Tokyo & Vicinity (via Japan Tourism Office) 

Yamato Promenade Antique Flea Market (information is a little dated) 

Flea Market Calendar (Japanese) 

No comments:

Post a Comment