Wednesday, May 3, 2017

¡Hola! Cuba! ~ 2

See THIS POST for the start of this series on Cuba.

In February 2017, I took a week-long break from my work and studies to become a beach-bum in Varadero, Cuba. The destination was not my personal choice. My parents requested I join them, yet I thought many times about turning down the initial invitation due to my perceptions of the beach-pace being too slow from my normal explorer travel behavior. I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed Varadero's white beach and slow style.

The resort we stayed at was the all-inclusive, Club Kawama. Similar to a cruise, the resort included food, drinks, snacks and entertainment, all free for guests. On one day, a water ballet show was performed in the main pool by a team of incredibly fit men and women....



The group performed to a number of songs including Beyoncé's "Single Ladies" (left) 
and dance tracks (right). 

The biggest surprise was a foam party, also held at the main pool closest to the lobby. It seemed the adults enjoyed it more than the kids, as I saw a number of elderly men jump in and play with the foam and bubbles (laugh)....

The staff fire up the foam cannon!

Everyone loves a foam party!! (images added for privacy reasons)


After about three days, I had grown a bit tired of being on the resort and asked my parents if we could go out for a walk towards the town. This turned out to be one of two walking tours I took to enjoy the Cuban local scene. The first thing everyone notices once in Cuba are the cars; it's a vintage automobile lover's dream, and all can be ridden in too -- most Cubans rent them out as a taxi service. 

Every car you see above was available as a taxi service. The smaller one in the bottom right is the Cuban equivalent of the Thai "tuk-tuk", -- a small, three-seated scooter which  transports passengers short distances. 


On the way back from our walk, we were lucky enough to encounter a couple on their wedding day, complete with a ride in a convertible open-top 1958 Chev Impala....congrats to the lovely couple!

The bride was especially beautiful. My dad said she looked like a model. To the groom: Treat her right!!

For those who prefer slower modes of transportation, Cuba has some four-legged friends willing to help you. These horse-and-buggy drivers would shuttle tourists from the resort to some markets in town for a fee (hint: it's not cheap). We were warned by a staff member at our resort that the buggy drivers will quote "10 pesos" for the ride and later, when it's time to pay, change the story to "10 pesos for EACH passenger". For tourists, it's recommended you set the price accurately, up front. 

I didn't try the buggy ride because I enjoy using my own two feet when exploring; however, a number of couples and women used the buggy service and seemed to like the fresh air and slower pace of the horses trotting along the street. It certainly is a unique way to enjoy Cuba...

Notice the rubberized wheels? 

Near our resort was a large canal where the ocean runs through a boat marina. One day, a woman was out rowing. We noticed a group of Cubans on the other side of the bank cheering her on and yelling out encouraging words. Rowing is a big sport in Canada in the summer and we have created some great Olympic rowing teams in the past. I took some photos as it was really cool to see this sport is also in Cuba...

My dad thought she was likely an Olympic level athlete...she was powerful!

I hope you enjoyed some local sights from Varadero, Cuba. I will be sure to post more photos from the town walking tour I completed on another day. Be sure to stop by again soon.

~ Enjoy blue skies!

INFORMATION 

Varadero, Cuba is about 4 hours by airplane from Toronto. Get flights and times HERE (via SkyScanner; change home airport to one closest to you). 

Hotel Club Kawama site is HERE

Trip Advisor's things to see and do in Varadero, Cuba is HERE

Weather + Temperature: 
Sunny with low precipitation. Average temperature: 84 degrees F, or 29 C. 

No comments:

Post a Comment