Sunday, August 15, 2010

Flute Lessons

After months of frustrations, I have finally found a flute teacher who can teach me on a regular basis. His name is (big breath):

Chatchawarn ATTHAKIJKOSOL.

Naturally, during our first lesson together, I asked him: How do I pronounce your name exactly? And he said:

ah + tah + key + gee + ko + sol

But, he continued, you can just call me "Chatchawarn" (Cha + cha + wa + arn). Whew!

He is a very mellow person. He told me he often goes on meditation retreats, which he describes as "boring". So, it sounds as though he has reached the level of "deep honesty". ^_^

We go over some very boring warm ups, which are to improve my sound and tonguing, and then move on to some Reichart exercises (which he told me to memorize! >_<), an etude (you have to play this faster!) and an incredible difficult piece by Doppler.

I asked him if he thought the Doppler piece was over my head (I think it is), but responded no. Since are no known recordings of this piece, it is hard to understand HOW to play it. We are going to challenge it together. My teacher said he will likely play it for an upcoming concert. Nice!

His studio is in the middle of nowhere (which is surprising considering Bangkok is a city of 12 million people). I have to take the elevated skytrain to the last stop, and then a 15 minute taxi ride to an open field basically.

Here is the shot to prove it:

(Those rows of houses in the background? His studio is there, somewhere..)

No comments:

Post a Comment