Friday, June 13, 2014

Arabian Daze - 16

Let's continue stories from an 8-day Middle Eastern cruise onboard
 the Costa Fortuna ship.
You can find earlier Arabian Daze stories in the Litter Box on the right. 
Click under "April" and "May". 

For the fifth day of this cruise, we visited a very tiny fishing village in northern Oman called Khasab. Our huge ship looked like the big bully in the school yard compared to the local fishing boats: 

For this port, my friend selected the activity. She chose a full day outing on a wooden ship to enjoy the Fjords of Khasab.  

The inside of our small boat: 



As Khasab is nicknamed the "Norway of Arabia", the Fjords are one of the few sightseeing points in this area. The village is not well developed for tourism yet; it's not known if the Omani government is planning on increasing tourism here. Regardless, it was an interesting stopover to see one of the more rural spots in Oman.

More tourist boats: 

We steamed off slowly, catching glimpses from time to time of a herd of wild dolphins.

The views were nice, but I wasn't as impressed as an earlier tour from Muscat to Nizwa.
 


The best part of this tour was the lunch. I enjoyed rice, hummus, raw vegetables, curry, naan and tandori chicken. I think I ate three plates!

Unfortunately, the smaller boat made my friend a little seasick, so in the evening, back on the Costa Fortuna, I had to eat dinner alone. It was another Captain's Gala Dinner, so I pigged out on risotto, cheeses, cured ham, as well as roast duck. When I returned to the cabin, my friend was already sleeping, but I noticed the towel art for the day -- a cute dog. 

Scenes from dinner

The ship left Khasab to head back to the U.A.E. I'll share more photos next time.

~ Information ~ 

The full day Fjords of Khasab tour in this post was booked online at: Khourshem Tourism. The website is unavailable now, so perhaps they went out of business?? Sorry... Another tour company is HERE.

Cost per person: $40 USD including, lunch, drinks, tea, fruit, snorkel set and towels. Free pick up and return from the cruise ship. 

The wiki page about Khasab is HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment