Monday, February 2, 2015

Krabi - Thailand Solo!

Originally, I was supposed to visit Krabi with a friend. At the last minute, my friend backed out. Angry at first, I decided to not bother with the stress and go alone. After all, I spoke some Thai, I had lived in the country for two years; traveling solo might be a blessing in disguise.

I made sure to take my usual travel partner of course,  Mr. Elephant (on my bag). I could feel his happiness immediately upon arriving at the Don Muang airport -- Thailand was his birth country, after all. Our flight left too early in the morning, so I caught breakfast at the airport, and let Elephant soak in the warm temperatures and atmosphere.

Photos: Me & my travel partner - a very happy, Mr. Elephant / Don Muang Domestic Terminal / 
My breakfast.



A one hour flight later, I arrived in Krabi, in the midst of rainy season, and promptly got soaked in the downpour while walking to my hotel. No matter, the room was very cosy and dry...

Photos: The room's canopy bed, bath, balcony view, lobby and Mr. Elephant, on his own day bed. 

I chose to stay near Ao Nang beach, which was listed on the internet as one of the best destinations for 2015. My hotel was a small one, called Apasari Krabi. It's not a fancy place, but the cost was cheap, included breakfast and the beach was only a 5 minute walk away. 

Don't be scared to visit Thailand during the rainy season (June ~ October). Prices are half what you would pay during the high season, plus the restaurants, beaches and tourist areas are almost empty. It's a great time to travel -- just bring a good raincoat with a hood as the rain tends to start and stop all day. 

Due to my early arrival, I snuck across the hotel lobby to a Muslim restaurant to enjoy some sweets. I forgot the name of this dish, but it was similar to deep fried bread, coated with strawberry jam. 

Krabi is home to a small Muslim population; not surprisingly, you will see ladies in headscarves. Krabi is popular not only with Europeans escaping the cold winter season, but also with Muslim tourists from Indonesia and Malaysia. If you are a fan of Halal food, this is the place for you. ^_^

I wanted to explore the Ao Nang beach area. From my hotel's road, I ventured right, parallel to the beach until I came across a really nice cafe, called Doi Chaang. Perched directly across from the beach, the cafe offered great views and peace and quiet -- I was their only customer! 

Photos: shop sign, inside, my latte, outside view 

I have almost stopped visiting cafes in Japan due to the high cost. Most of my coffee comes from decaffeinated instant stuff made at home. This cafe was a little "splurge". I really liked the various themes inside. 

Owls which gave a "Harry Potter" vibe:

A circular, Chinese inspired bookshelf:

I think if you had a great, thick book, you could really waste your day away here. Doi Chaang sells coffee at various locations in Asia. You can visit their site below to find shops, even order online.

The following morning, I ventured up a very steep cliff to visit a famous temple. Come back and visit again to see that amazing spot.


Information

Air Asia flies from Tokyo ~ Krabi (via Bangkok). Price from Tokyo one-way: ¥20,000 ($200). 

Apasari Krabi hotel is located near Ao Nang beach, Krabi, Thailand. Price off season: About $30 a night for the room. Pool & breakfast included. 


Useful sites

Air Asia  ** Special promotion on now -- one-way from Tokyo to BKK for only $129!! 

Apasari Krabi 

Doi Chaang Coffee Thailand 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Corgi! Mr. Elephant is the only guy in my life here it seems. Other men always let me down... LOL

    ReplyDelete