Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Krabi 2 - Thailand Solo! - Tiger Cave Temple

As mentioned in my last post, I was originally supposed to enjoy several days in Krabi with a friend, who backed out suddenly. Rather than waste the trip, I went alone; the result was quite fun.

On my second day in Krabi I booked a day tour to a cliffside spot which offered the best views of the resort area -- Tiger Cave Temple. Also known as Wat Tham Suea, this temple is considered to be highly sacred and famous for ....(secret to be revealed later!)

I started the day with my usual -- a big breakfast. Despite the free buffet breakfast at the hotel, I was the only customer(!) Rainy season in Krabi is deliciously quiet.

A van picked me up and drove us 20 or so minutes to our first stop of the day -- the temple. I was impressed by the highly decorated gates and massive gong at the temple's entrance.

Photos: Apasari Hotel breakfast / decorative gate / one massive gong



The temple is famous for tiger paw prints etched in the concrete of a cave at this site; but I wasn't here for that. I was eager to challenge the temple's other famous point (secret revealed!) -- it's massive stair climb up a steep cliff. A sign at the bottom of the staircase read simply: "1,237 steps to top mountain." Being an avid hiker, I couldn't resist this challenge. I began my climb, noting the painted numbers in blood red reminding climbers of the number of stairs reached.

Photos: A deity with a donation box/ 333 steps so far! / The warning sign at the start of the climb/ Made it! / The never ending staircase...

After approximately 30 minutes of climbing, I reached the summit, a staggering 1,260 steps later (that initial sign lied!!). At the top, there was a welcome water fountain; I was parched from the steep climb!

Photos: Drinking fountain / Various gongs/ View / Guardians 



After guzzling down several glasses of the cold, fresh water, I walked around, noting how eerily quiet the summit was. I came across a string of gongs, all various sizes and rang them triumphantly. The sound signaled my arrival to Krabi, it seemed. A sign prompted me to remove my shoes before walking around the main holy site here -- I snapped a photo of the misty view to show how high I had climbed.


A great, grand statue of Buddha peered down at visitors who succeeded in the tough trek up the cliffside. It was an amazing sight. I stayed here for a while -- again, as the only visitor -- later, a monk came out and said, "Hello, you are alone?" I nodded, and he seemed amazed at my bravery. The weather at the top was wet and cold, with strong winds. Despite that, I stayed to offer prayers and snap a few more photos.

Buddha at Tiger Cave Temple, the view & starting the great climb down: 



On the long way down, I passed several more brave climbers, donning rain coats. They panted,  "How much further to the top?" I encouraged all the climbers to keep going as the reward at the top was worth all the pain. ^_^

Once back at the bottom, I took a rest and snapped this photo below, of some cute cherubs. I love hidden displays of art, so this was a pleasant find.



Check in again soon. I have more photos to share of this temple, plus a beautiful swimming hole on Krabi. Enjoy traveling!


Information:

Tiger Cave Temple wiki is HERE. Trip Advisor is HERE
The temple is about 3 kilometers from Krabi town. 

If you do climb, be warned: it's very steep and tough. Start early in the day, or go in the early evening, when temperatures are much cooler.  There is only 1 toilet along the climb, and no toilets at the summit. 

The summit is 600 meters (2,000 feet). 
The Buddha statue is 278 meters tall. 

Entrance is free, but donations are strongly welcomed. 

Travel tip (from some other travelers I met): Don't book a tour online. Wait until you get to Krabi, and book local. You'll save 300 baht or so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment