Friday, August 5, 2011

Cherry Blossoms

Every spring in Japan is marked with the arrival of beautiful pink cherry blossoms. They bloom only once a year, lastly approximately one week. The event is marked with thousands of Japanese strolling through the park, or sitting on the grass with friends, enjoying beers and snacks.

Cherry blossoms bring a sense of nostalgia and quiet happiness to people. This movie from Germany, whose title shares the same sentiments, is widely recommended to my readers.

Title cover art:

I was told to watch this movie by a friend and haven't regretted it. The story is a very simple one: a German man loses his wife while on holiday near the Baltic Sea. His wife's dream was to visit Japan and see the famous Mt.Fuji; to appease her spirit, he does just that --- flying off to Japan to visit his son, who lives there.

For me, this film was memorable, especially during the numerous scenes in Tokyo. The director does nothing to hide or glamorize the "real Tokyo" -- it stars in the film as an edgy, bizarre, and sometimes sad place (showing scenes of homelessness or seedy bars). I actually squealed with happiness during the main character's visit to a 旅館 (a Japanese traditional inn). These establishments are famous for their delicious cuisine -- the food shown in the movie is so appetizing, you'll likely want to lick the screen!

I hope my readers will visit their local video store and request this selection. It's well worth it and is sure to leave an impression on you.

Cherry Blossoms (2008) is a German film, directed by Doris Dorrie. Dialogue in German, English and Japanese. The Rotten Tomatoes review is HERE. See the trailer HERE. This film is also known as "Kirshbluten" or "Hanami".

11 comments:

  1. Oeh, I've heard about this movie! Would love to see it, sounds beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Saar,

    Thank you for your comment. Would you like to see it? I can ask for the DVD from my friend. I'm sure she'll loan it to you... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I don't have a DVD player, but thanks for the offer. I'll just add it to my 'must-see' list (& it's probably smarter to wait, before I end up booking a ticket to Japan, haha)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Saar,

    Okay, I understand. Put it on your "must see" list then.

    I'm going to Japan soon to visit several friends. Shall I bring you back something?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What?! When are you going? How awesome!! I want to try and go for the cherry blossom season next year.. If I've got the cash.. Will see how that goes. Wouldn't know what you could bring back, haha, rather have you take me there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Saar,

    I will visit Tokyo in early September and meet up with 3 friends there. Then, I'll fly to Nagoya in mid-October to play in a flute concert. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aah soo excited for you! You must be really good with your flute!
    The Moon is a movie indeed, read a bit more about it over here: http://thaifilmjournal.blogspot.com/2011/07/shooting-moon-biopic-of-80s-superstar.html

    I don't really mind when or where we're going (maybe on 'Movie day' at Centralworld or wherever?), I guess you've got a bit more of a schedule than I do :) (Have you met Megan before? Might be nice to meet her before she leaves the country?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Saar,

    For flute, I've studied it for many years... took masterclasses in Japan (5 years) and here (1 year). It's my hobby. ^_^

    I'm usually free in the morning, but lately, my friends always have something planned for me...

    Right now, I am available after Sept.10th. Weekends are a no-no. It's my 'me' time.

    Everyone knows Megan and her blog. She's leaving? When and why? >_< Too bad....

    Send me a PM (private message) on Twitter whenever you'd like to go. I love going out. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Masterclasses, wow. What a great hobby. It is so nice to lose yourself in music; I wish I would be a little better with an instrument. (I do sing a lot, especially while cycling. Wouldn't want to sing solo, but in a group it could be fun..)

    Haha, funny your friends have something planned for you... who owns your schedule ;) Great you're so settled in over here.. I miss that a bit.

    I'm figuring out what/when/where I'm going on my visarun and when I will be back in Bangkok..

    Yup :(, you should read her latest blog update.

    I guess I have to wait for a bit, the 10th of September is quite far away ;) Maybe I should host something at Chickynet, I'd still love to go to the Green Lungs (http://www.rollglobal.org/2010/04/bkkgreenlung/)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Saar,

    Thank you for your comments --- I love reading them!

    I checked out the "Green Lung" link. I've been there already (sheepish grin). I went with Spice Roads & Bangkok Podcast. We took a 4.5 hour tour of the island. It's really great and you should definitely go.

    I wrote 3 blog posts about it. Check HERE for Part 1

    HERE for Part 2

    HERE for Part 3

    If you like singing, there is a farang choir that meets every Wednesday evening. I can give you the contact information. I was invited to join (playing flute), but I am too busy. >_<

    For BKK concert info, check this site:
    Bangkok Concerts

    (whispers) I'm quite shy actually, so I rely on my friends for adventure.

    It takes about 1 year to get really settled in anywhere; this is only my second year in BKK.

    A good rule I learned when living in Japan: if someone invites you out, say YES! You may learn/ do something you normally wouldn't do. And it's always good to be outside your "comfort" zone. If you didn't like it, at least you can be proud to say you tried it. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah true, I've read those posts a while ago! (Oops!) Too bad you've already been there. Looks like you had a good time!

    That 'Bangkok concerts' link is great, good information on there.

    I'm not really shy, when it comes to meeting people here in hostels and all. But it feels different when you start talking to people online and don't know whether you'll have a connection in real life. If somebody in your dorm seemed nice, but turns out to be a big fan of hunting and the Tea-party, you can sort of 'move on'. ;)
    But you are right, it is good to be spontaneous and just get out there. It makes for the best time. Like when I got invited to stay with my friend and her family in Japan, sweetest memories!
    It feels a bit strange at the moment, like I am in between things. I feel good in Bangkok, yet still have not completely settled down because I don't have my own place to live. I enjoy meeting a lot of people, but it is hard to get anything done with all the distractions around me. I've only got 11 weeks left, before flying home (dontwannaaa), but might be back sooner than my family can imagine ;)

    ReplyDelete