Monday, August 29, 2011

Baipai Thai Cooking School | Part 6

We conclude our time at a Thai cooking school....

The final and most difficult dish was: Roasted Duck in Red Curry. The difficulty lay in making the red curry paste. We had to pound, by hand, many dried red chili peppers, using a peste and mortar. The sound was very noisy!

My work station & ingredients for the paste:

After pounding for 10 minutes, my curry paste looked like this:
Next, we watched the chef prepare this dish. Cooking red chili peppers creates a lot of smoke, and the smell is quite strong. It's important to cook at a fast pace, to minimize the smoke....
Finally, we moved to our cooking stations, where I used a wok.
My station...

There was a father-and-son team from the Netherlands, cooking in our group. I thought it was neat to see, so I took a picture. Men who cook = very cool! ^_^

After about 15 minutes, I could finish my curry. Here is the final presentation:
Ms. D and I enjoyed our experience immensely and have already made plans to visit this school again. We both would recommend this cooking school for those looking for a unique way to meet other foreigners, and to enjoy cooking/ eating Thai cuisine.

Ms. D and cutenekko:
Our class contained people from: Australia (2), the Netherlands (2), Germany (3) and Canada (me!). We hope you'll give it a try! ^_^

Our international group:
(You can easily find me, doing the crazy poses again...^_^)

Baipai Cooking school website is HERE. Highly recommended on Trip Advisor. Cost: 1,800 baht per person, you cook 3 dishes. Recipe book and a souvenir photo are included. Free pick up from your hotel for tourists. All instruction is in English. More photos are sent via email after the class has been completed; these photos are also free. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment