Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Baipai Thai Cooking School | Part 1

I used to hate cooking and relied on the kindness of my friends to be fed. A year into living in Thailand, I changed and now enjoy cooking--even when some of my creations are failures. (laugh)

My blog associate, sparkly Ms. D, asked me to join her on a challenge: attend a Thai cooking school. (!!) I said: "Why not?" while inwardly panicking after agreeing to go. My friend too, had some worries, sending me an email saying: "I hope we don't have to kill a chicken or something". Haha!

We first met our guide at Otoko Market, where we learned about common Thai ingredients. I enjoyed this part very much.

Our guide explains Thai Holy Basil...

Ginger....

...and lemongrass. ^_^
Next, we moved to another area of the market to pick up some fresh coconut milk. I was really surprised -- I didn't know you could buy it freshly squeezed! My eyes were like this--> O_O

This machine shreds the coconuts...

...then, the shredded coconut is put into this machine (a press) which squeezes out the milk.
Neat, eh? ^_^

Be sure to visit again tomorrow; I will post more photos from this market and the cooking school.

Otoko Market is a very clean outdoor food market in Bangkok. MRT Kamphaeng Phet, Exit 3. At the top of the escalator, the market is on your right. Baipai Cooking school website is HERE. Highly recommended on Trip Advisor.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Selichan,
    I posted a link on the Baipai Facebbok page to your blog and they wrote this:

    Khun Dani, Thank you very much for sharing the link of the wonderful blogspot.

    :)

    ReplyDelete