Thursday, August 18, 2011

Ice Palace @ Siam Discovery


I talked my friend from Kenya into going skating with me. I wanted to try the newest rink in Bangkok -- Ice Palace, which opened in late July.

The rink itself is huge! A Canadian girl's dream...

I was excited to have a friend join me. As she was a beginner, we went slowly around the edge of the rink. After 30 minutes, she was zipping along and didn't need to hold the railing. Yay!

I loved the music played here --I skated around, singing. It was fun! ^_^

Detail of the wall mural:

I recommend this rink for non-beginners only. While it's not as crowded as THE RINK @ CENTRAL WORLD, the skaters are quite advanced here. After my friend took a rest, I zipped around numerous times -- I wanted to show all the fast Thai skaters how well a Canadian girl skates! (laugh)

Ice Palace is located on the 7F of Siam Discovery. Open 10.00 ~ 22.00. Cost: 1.5 hours for 250 baht + 50 baht deposit for the electronic card. The payment system (an electronic card) is a bit confusing, however, the staff are all quite friendly and will gladly help you out. Skates are included in the 1.5 hour fee.
Lots of food & snacks can be enjoyed rink side; there are numerous tables and sofas available -- perfect for friends who would rather enjoy the cool air than skate. ^_^

8 comments:

  1. Just looking at these pictures makes me want to go skating....

    Cutenekko story:
    - 2 friends came over to my place and noticed my ice skates on the the floor.
    -My friends: "Where did you buy the ice skates in Bangkok?"
    -Me: "They are from Canada. I brought them over in my suitcase."
    -Friends: "Airport security must have been confused...why would someone bring ice skates to Thailand!?!?!"
    -Me: Because I am Canadian? ^_^

    I think you cannot separate Canadians from cold things. (laugh)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Saar,

    Thanks! Recently, I have many funny stories. Would you like another?

    (at a restaurant):
    - My friend: "S. you act very, very Japanese. You always apologize for everything!"
    - Me: Do I really apologize a lot? Oh sorry." ^_^

    Hehe. ^_^ I really did say that. Really really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, is that Japanese - or are you just a girl? ;) Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Saar! Your comment makes me think:
    'Do girls apologize a lot?'

    I never noticed this point...

    I love to study psychology in my free time. I read that for men, it's very difficult to apologize. They see it as 'losing face'. Perhaps that is why we feel girls apologize more? We just see it more often than a man apologizing...?

    But Japanese people really do apologize a lot. There is an expression when you give a gift to someone. You say:
    'I am so sorry this gift is nothing special/important, but it's for you'.

    I think this is very cute. Japanese people are cute. And I am cute, too. So, we fit well together. (laugh)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know, I do think a lot of girls tend to apologize a lot. Whether it makes them feel/look like they are cute (to act like they are 'small' wtf) or whatever it is..
    Men def. struggle with it though, because they don't like to admit mistakes right ;) They'd rather be strong and right. I think girls are more insecure and take stuff in easier, thinking that it is their mistake when whatever happens.
    However, as long as you don't say sorry in every sentence you use - just when the sorry is 'needed', it is indeed cute. And yes, Japanese people are the cutest people in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Saar,

    I admire people who are not afraid to say 'sorry' --- but I agree, it should only be said when you mean it.

    Thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only say that because I know some people that use sorry in like every single sentence. Quite annoying, (almost) like they don't feel they deserve to be alive ;)
    It is great if people are able to say sorry, it feels good to get it off your chest, but it also feels nice to receive apologies. :)

    ReplyDelete