Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Cooking Japanese

I've been trying to cook some of my favorite dishes from my time in Japan...I guess I miss the taste of my second home.^_^

A friend recommended I try "Omurice" which means: omelet/rice. It's very easy...

1. Make rice. ^_^ // Fry up chicken (in my case, I used sausages), green pepper, onion and whatever else you like to put in an omelet.



2. After the rice is cooked, add ketchup and mix. Add the ketchup/rice to the chicken/veggie mix and stir-fry. [My German friend was really funny when I told her this recipe: "Ketchup?? With rice?!?! Ew!"] (laugh)

3. Make an omelet. Add the rice/stir-fry mix to the middle. Fold around the edges.



**Hard part!**

4. Flip the entire thing over onto a plate.

It took all my concentration, and I gave myself a little pep talk before the actual "flip". But, success! I did it! Yay! ^_^/



**Bonus**

Today is Tanabata in Japan. This translates to "Star Festival". You can read/ see pictures about this special day HERE. In Japan, children usually write their wish on a piece of paper, and tie it to a bamboo tree. Trees filled with these paper wishes blowing in the summer air are quite beautiful. My wish? Hm...I'll write one in Japanese:
私の友達と、毎日に、幸せになりますように。
(For my friends and I, to experience(?) happiness every day.)


and another in English:
To make laughter, my favorite music.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Anonymous,

    Thank you for the comment. I am not a very good cook, actually. I am just a beginner, but I am trying my best. ^_^

    Thank you for the links to the OMU shop. I haven't heard of it, but based on the website, it looks really great! I will be sure to go and check it out.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete