Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Ootoya | 大戸屋

Ootoya is a Japanese restaurant chain, which is quite popular among Thais. We ate at this one, in Siam Paragon department store, for lunch. My friend said: "It's often so busy here at night...there is a huge line of people waiting!" I always eat lunch quite early, so we could enter without waiting. ^_^

We started with Japanese tea and water... (the tea was free!)


My friend ordered eggplant with chicken. This set included miso soup, rice and a side dish....(Sorry, I forgot the name of this dish in Japanese (black things). Can my Japanese readers help? My friend wanted to know what she was eating...)


I decided to order something that most Japanese enjoy in the summer -- cold soba! My set came with a マグロ丼 (Tuna rice bowl). Yum!


Both sets, with water, came to about 300 baht (=¥900 / $9 per set). It's a little pricey, but the taste was pretty good. My friend really enjoyed the service here, as the waitress was very polite and spoke only in Thai to us. ^_^ Hurray!

There are many Ootoya restaurants around Bangkok. 日本人の方:大戸屋バンコク Prices range from 100 Baht +.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cutenekko,
    The dish is called "Hijiki". It's a kind of seaweed. Please take a look at this link:
    http://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E3%81%B2%E3%81%98%E3%81%8D&hl=ja&rlz=1T4SKPT_jaJP409JP410&prmd=ivnse&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=tZMxToP6MOaNmQWe6fjXCQ&ved=0CF8QsAQ&biw=1186&bih=817

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anonymous,

    Thank you! I never knew the name of this dish. "Hijiki" it is!

    The photos from the link are perfect too and show the dish up close. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recently, my friend who accompanied me here, pointed out that she had ordered FISH, not chicken. (embarrassed laughter) Whoops!

    Sorry.... >_<

    ReplyDelete