Thursday, July 21, 2011

Train Man | 電車男

This is one of my favorite books, which I would like to introduce to those outside of Asia. It's from Japan, and was such a smash hit, it was made into a movie. The story itself is supposed to be true, taking place in the internet world of message boards.

The cover:


It's not written as a typical novel; instead, the messages have been merely copied and pasted, to create a book.

Inside:


What is the story?
-- It's quite simple and pure: a young guy helps a lady while riding home on the train. She thanks him. They form a friendship and later, begin dating.

What makes this story so special?
-- Several things:
1. The message board format, which reflects how shy, young people in our society are communicating with one another in a unique way.

2. The main character's pure heart. He's never had a girlfriend before, and thus, counts on his friends for advice from what clothes to wear, his hairstyle, how to communicate with the girl, to what to do on a date, etc. He puts so much effort into the relationship, as a girl, how can you not be impressed???

3. Everyone can relate to being shy or feeling awkward. This book shows how we can, with research and resilience from friends, overcome our shyness.

4. It's completely anonymous. If the story IS true, the reader is left wondering, who is Train Man? Who is Lady Hermes? Are they still together? I like the feeling that I might have met these characters IRL (in real life), be it at the bus stop, in the 7-11, etc.

I hope you can find a copy at the bookstore and give it a try. I think you will enjoy it. ^_^

Train Man, by Hitori Nakano, is available through Amazon. Click HERE if you'd like to order it.

**Bonus**
Some readers might be wondering, "What other books do you like?" One is a huge secret, I can't tell you. It's very embarrassing. But I've read that book 7 times already. *sigh*

One I can share with you is: The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. It's from Germany. ^_^ I love this book (and the movie too!) because I've always wanted to be sucked into a story and meet the characters. Wouldn't you? When I was 8 years old, I had a big crush on "Atrayu" from the movie. (laugh) I have read this book both in English and the original German.

Another I like is: Anne of Green Gables. It's from Canada, and was given to me by my 4th grade teacher, Ms. Dosaji. She is the reason I became a teacher today. The red-haired main character, Anne, grows up to become a teacher herself. It's known as 赤毛のアン in Japan. Green Gables is real, and I've visited there several times. It's only 1 hour by car from my parent's home. I hope you will try to visit the setting of the book, Prince Edward Island, Canada.

6 comments:

  1. I loved the train man book!
    And I also absolutely love The Neverending Story!
    I had a crush on Falcor, the luck dragon♥♥♥!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Corgi,

    I'm glad you enjoyed "Train Man" too. ^_^

    I really think "The Neverending Story" is perhaps the best book out there. I loved Falcor too. Doesn't every one want to have a luck dragon? Then we wouldn't have to wait at the airport to catch a flight... (laugh)

    I forgot to mention some other authors I like: Banana Yoshimoto (her stories always stick in my mind...) and Margret Atwood (powerful writing).

    For children's books, I love Dr.Seuss and Eric Carle.

    Won't you tell us, Corgi, which books you enjoy? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Extra post:

    I'm really glad Corgi didn't tease me about my secret book.... ^_^ Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, I also like Banana Yoshimoto! And for children's books I like Oliver Jeffers.
    Oh and I absolutely love the "Twilight" books! All of them. Have you heard of them? They are really good!
    They also made it into a film... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Corgi!

    I have never heard of Oliver Jeffers. Can you suggest some titles?

    "Twilight"?? What is that??? I have never heard of it.....
    (hides her books + hides her DVD collection + nervous laugh)

    Umm.....^_^ Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I am so happy this blog entry has become so popular.

    Everyone should read "Train Man". He's great. ^_^

    ReplyDelete