Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Jingu-Gaien Fireworks Festival ~ in Shinjuku ~

Last night, a fellow co-worker invited me to her apartment smack next door to Shinjuku station. From her 7th floor balcony, we could enjoy the time-honored, Japanese tradition of summer fireworks. This festival, the Jingu-Gaien Fireworks Festival, happens every year, around early to mid August from 19:30 ~ 20:30.

It was my first attempt at photographing fireworks. I selected my best shots for the evening....

Nikon P600 w/long zoom - Fireworks show setting:
 Fireworks in Japan are very different from those in Canada. In my home country, usually organizers send up one firework at a time. In Japan, there are "themes" or "groups" of fireworks every 5 ~ 10 minutes. So, you will see a series or group of fireworks at once. It's quite impressive!

Photos: Firework waterfall / Pink cross

Fireworks are sponsored (usually) by local and big businesses. Some community residents will also donate loose change to fireworks festivals in the area. In my local town in Japan, while shopping at the supermarket for example, the cashier will have a firework shell (ball - shaped) with a coin slot cut into it. It's for donations to the local fireworks festival. Cool Japan eh? ^_^

Photos: White / Multi-color / Pink / Green

To get the photos, I set my camera on the balcony railing, propped up with a towel, set the auto-focus, shot, re-focued, and shot again and again. It was hard to get the timing down, but near the end of the show, I found my rhythm. My best two shots are below. What do you think? ^_^

Best shots of the night: 


I am very thankful to my friend, who invited me to her home to watch these marvelous fireworks. There are many, many fireworks festivals all across Japan in the summer -- even in the smallest towns. Summer in Japan is a great way to enjoy the outdoors, meet people and eat local foods. Please try to visit a fireworks festival while in the country.

Enjoy fireworks!

Information: 

Jingu-Gaien Fireworks Festival. Website

Location:
Shinjuku, Tokyo.

When:
Every year in August. Usually during the second week. 

Great info on YELP. (in English!!) 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a spelling error earlier and had to delete my original comment. Here it is again, with the correction:

      Hi It's great. I'm happy you stopped by to say hello! Please enjoy the blog or feel free to share your stories about festivals and/or fireworks. I'm always happy to meet new people. ^_^

      Delete