Sunday, August 9, 2015

Royal Park Hotel Afternoon Tea

Yokohama is perhaps my favorite city in all Japan. It has the harbor front, ships of all sizes, lots of scenic views, shops galore, Chintatown, and a vibrant, international community. It's also (currently) the most expensive city in Japan -- more than Tokyo -- due to high taxes. Despite the money factor, a friend and I splurged on an afternoon tea set smack in the center of the historic district of Yokohama.

We had a reservation for the Royal Ascot Bar, at the Royal Park Hotel. Between the hours of 14:00 to 16:00, the bar serves up an English tea set, mainly for women. 


Photos:
Scanning the menu / pots of tea, a cup of lemongrass tea / my friend and a pooped out Cutenekko


My friend and I shared one set, ordering two pots of tea. I chose lemongrass for the refreshing flavor; my friend selected vintage Darjeeling. We switched our pots halfway through to enjoy the different tastes. 

The service here was very fast; upon ordering, our tea arrived within 5 minutes. The tea set came immediately after. 

Photos:
Full afternoon tea set 
top: sweets (French macaroons, raspberry cream, Gâteau au chocolat, mango mousse, green tea cakes)  
middle: scones (plain + tomato & basil) 
bottom: sandwiches (cucumber, salmon, ham & cheese)
My friend and I were impressed with the selection of sweets; the scones however, were quite small and the sandwiches were tiny. The price for the set was 2,700 JPY ($27) so we felt the overall experience was alright. 

While chatting, I noticed my friend had a really beautiful ring on. She took it off and explained she had made it herself; I loved it very much. My friend said, "Why don't you keep it?" Wow!!!! Thank you!!!

In Yokohama, until next week, there is a dance festival featuring Pikachu -- the most famous Pokemon character. We saw several Pikachu characters dressed as sailors or police officers, walking around the harbor front. Staff were handing out Pikachu paper hats to children passing by. I took a photo of a giant Pikachu stuck to the side of a building...


While living in Bangkok, I enjoyed various afternoon teas in the city. I haven't done it much in Japan, so I'd like to bring back this once-a-month tradition. 

Enjoy tea! 

Information:

Royal Park Hotel Yokohama. Website

Afternoon Tea (reservations required) is served between 14:00 and 16:00 on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays ONLY. Site HERE

Cost:
2,700 JPY ($27) per person
Additional pots of tea, or cups of coffee are available, but are expensive ($9 - 10 each). 

Location: 
Next to Landmark Tower. Sakuragicho Station JR line. Train map. From the station, walk about 5 minutes. Wheelchair accessible (via elevator and moving walkways). 



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Corgi! Thanks for the nice comment! The dress was a second-hand shop find. About $20. Perfect for summer, I think. ^_^

      Delete