Saturday, October 2, 2021

Prague Castle

In early summer 2018, I took a 10-day tour through five countries in the EU. It was to celebrate two things: getting a full-time job after many years of part-time contracts and, completing my Master's degree. 

On the second day, I took a river cruise along the Vltava River in Prague. After departing the ship, I had a few hours free before joining a walking tour of Prague Castle. 

I'm not sure why, but I followed a group of people who told me they were in search of a bar that, according to our tour guide, had the best cocktails. It turned out to be a Cuban bar/restaurant, and the cocktails were actually mojitos. So, I found myself sitting in a Cuban bar...in Prague...enjoying a mojito. 


 Scenes from the Cuban bar/restaurant, La Bodeguita del Medio Praha 
(website in English & Czech). 


Glass of mojito cocktail
It was a very refreshing mojito with abundant mint. 

So...after that slight distraction, I walked out to make my way towards Prague Castle. I took a few photos of sights along the route.


             
Prague certainly has the atmosphere of a fantasy novel, no? 

Prague Castle (Sygic Travel, 2021) historically, was established in the 9th century and was first built as a church. Currently, it is the official residence of the President of the Czech Republic. I had quite a bit of time to explore the area and took numerous photos. 

II Courtyard within the Castle. The President's offices are here, within the New Royal Palace (Prague.net, 2008).

Looking up at St. Vitus Cathedral (Prague.net, 2008) within the castle grounds. 

Castle guards marching past.

When to Visit Prague Castle

Travel writer Shiran Brodie (2019) notes it's recommended to visit Prague Castle in either the early morning or late afternoon to avoid crowds (Justapack.com). I passed through the security check late in the afternoon. I also let the tour group get way ahead of me; dawdling behind so that I could get photographs without others in the shot. It turned out to be a good strategy. 

My Adidas sneaks holding up over the pebbles. 
I still have these sneakers in 2021! 

               
Views within the castle grounds - sorry I have forgotten the details. 


St. George Basilica (Prague.net, 2008) - a must see stop while walking through Prague Castle. 

What Not to Miss in Prague Castle

According to travel notes, it's recommended to view the sights I've shown above, as well as, the White Tower and Golden Lane, among others. For some reason, I missed quite a few of those latter highlights; however, if you're curious about the other historic sights within the Castle, please visit the official visitor's site for Prague Castle (2021); scrolling to the very bottom of that site page offers a virtual tour.

In the next blog post, we'll shift from the Czech Republic to another country in the Eastern EU. See you soon!


Travel information mentioned on this page:


If you enjoyed this post, or have been to Prague, share your comments below. I would love to hear your stories and/or thoughts. - Cutenekko.

No comments:

Post a Comment