Tuesday, June 25, 2013

三社祭 Sanja Matsuri - Part 1

Back in May, I joined a group on meetup.com to enjoy one of the most famous festivals in Tokyo -- Sanja Matsuri. Matsuri is the Japanese word for "festival". The word Sanja literally means "three shrines"(source). The festival is held in and around the well known Sensoji shrine, in Asakusa. (Tokyo Map)

Sanja Matsuri is held over a period of three days; Friday consists of a parade and is less crowded, while Sunday is the main event -- the participation of hundreds in carrying large, ornately adorned portable shrines, called mikoshi. (See pic - source: Google Images via Blogger). Our group met on the first day of the festival. We enjoyed watching a parade, viewing a dance and listening to traditional music.

I took a lot of photos to share. Please enjoy! ^_^

Our group arrived early to explore the shrine of Sensoji:
One of two large gates at the shrine.

There were lots of food stalls set up selling yakitori (grilled chicken on skewers), kakigori (shaved ice with flavored syrup), yakisoba (fried noodles) candy apples, and others. I didn't buy anything here, just eating with my eyes. (laugh)


We waited on a side street next to the shrine for the parade to start. A float arrived one hour later carrying musicians, signaling the start of the festival. Cool!

I wiggled my way to the front of the sidewalk so I could take photos. I noticed these gents in very dapper hats marching past....

....another unique hat and....!?!?! I asked around about the red wig guy, but no one seemed to know why he was dressed like that. My guess: he is dressed to resemble a Japanese God figure, or some kind of legendary hero (former Lord or samurai?), most likely from the area. Readers, please help!


I really liked these guys the best. The large, fringed hats swayed while they walked. Some played drums; others played the bamboo flute.




Sanja Matsuri is very famous in Tokyo and a "must see" event in May. It's very crowded, but exciting. You can read more about this festival HERE



Sensoji Shrine information is HERE. Access to Asakusa area is via Tokyo Metro, Ginza line or Asakusa Line. Station: Asakusa. Walk to the shrine in 5 minutes.




Tomorrow, I'll show more pictures and videos of this traditional festival. 

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see you still discovering the wonders of an amazing culture! How are things (it's been a while)? Take care, Rich. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard!!! Hi!! Long time, no see! Thank you for your comment. How's NB? Are you still there?
    I recently started learning how to fish. I went fly fishing last year twice and ocean fishing (maybe 3 - 4 times?) too. I caught sardines and river trout. ^_^ Are you still into fish farming?

    Actually, I'm getting back into life in Japan after spending two years in Bangkok. Surprisingly, I really liked Bangkok -- the weather and people there are fun. I learned how to read and write Thai too. It was so difficult but I studied at a coffee shop almost daily. I'm going to try out the MA program at Trinity Western soon too. Just trying one course to see how it goes.

    Send me an email sometime. Same name (small c) via yahoo canada.

    ReplyDelete