Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Ultraman Train Event

I would like to take a break from the Degustacion de Tapas posts to report about several local events.

These past two months I've been out exploring several small festivals and snapping photos. Today, I'll focus on a train event held in Kanagawa.

The Sotetsu train line, which runs from Yokohama station to Ebina, with another route branching off to Shonandai (beach area), held an event for train affectionados. The event was called: 走るウルトラヒーロ電車 [lit: Run Ultra Hero Train]; one Sotetsu train was adored with images of Ultraman (a famous children's TV hero) for guests to enjoy.

Visitors were allowed to walk on the rail tracks and view the train up close:
There were a lot of people stumbling over the rocks....


I also got to see Ultraman and Ultraman 7 up close, strutting their stuff and power posing for the crowd:
Ultraman 7 is in blue. Regular Ultraman is to your right.
You can see the special Ulraman train in the background. 



Hero power!


"This is my best side...please...snap away!"


There was also a signpost of the train station on the tracks, where I got a photo:
Cutenekko: 電車女 (Train girl)


The coolest part of this event? An open flea market for train geeks, where Sotetsu staff were selling off all kinds of train gear. Check out what I found in the market!

Hand straps: 
Cost? ¥700 ($7 / 250 Baht)
Sign plates -- these are seen inside train carriages: 
Pricy!!! One sign = ¥8,000 ($80 / 2,600 baht)



Signs showing the route map and stations: 
Prices were: ¥3 ~ 4,000 (= $30 ~ 40 / 1,000 ~ 1,600 Baht)


Every item was for sale although not many people were buying. I also saw: timetable charts, wheelchair stickers, old switchboards, even a chair from inside the conductor's office!! There were many 電車男[train men] there enjoying the atmosphere and snapping up small momentos.

This event was completely free and really fun. I'm glad I went!

Tomorrow, I'll feature an annual festival in Yokohama, which celebrates the opening of port in 1858.
I got to meet lots of handsome guys in uniform! Woo!! ^_^

Sotetsu Train information is HERE. The press release PDF is HERE. (日本語だけ)

No comments:

Post a Comment