Tuesday, November 5, 2013

荒崎公園 Arazaki Park (Miura Peninsula, Kanagawa)

I was asked to join a friend last week for some fishing. It was a rare warm and sunny day, so I couldn't stay home. My friend drove us to the Miura peninsula, where I had just been to climb Mt.Oogusu. ^_^ We drove further down the coast, to a fishing spot which was the most beautiful place I had ever seen.

I was surprised to find a few sea kayakers. 
They pushed off just as we were setting up our fishing gear:

The coastline here was incredible. Layers of stone spilled into Sagami Bay:

I loved the shape of these rocks. 
This view is looking back from our fishing spot:

Our fishing spot -- tucked in between two rock outcrops: 

On the other side of the bay, I spied some other fishermen:

My friend is always incredibly lucky when fishing, catching fish as soon as the line hits the water. This day was no exception. I caught only two, while my friend got six! I took some photos....

My first fish, and the third of the day...Go Team Canada! ^_^


This was the fifth catch of the day: 

Fish #6 (I think I caught this one):

This fishing spot was really good; I just did simple fly fishing -- no reel. 

The last catch of the day was a cute blowfish (#8):


We packed up our gear and released all the fish back to the sea. As the sun was setting, I snapped a photo of the view:

Arazaki area is part of a large park, with picnic tables, a lookout point and some hiking trails. It's dog friendly too; we watched three dogs training with their owners to catch flying frisbees. I asked my friend to take me here again as I'd like to explore the hiking trails. Should we go back, I'd post more pics for you. ^_^


~ Information ~

Arazaki is a locally known park; few tourists venture down Mirua Peninsula to this spot. If you have time in Japan, you should visit. It's breathtaking. 

Access: 
-- By car: Drive route 134 south in Miura Peninsula. At Miyukihama, keep to the coast, until you reach Arazaki. Parking is free during weekdays and non-holidays. 

-- By train & bus: From Yokohama, take the Keikyu Kurihama line to Misakiguchi Station (the last stop). Take a bus going to Arazaki. From the bus stop, it's a 5 minute walk. Cost: ¥550 for the train, bus cost unknown. Travel time on the train: 51 minutes. Bus travel time unknown. 

Arazaki Park's Wiki page is HERE. (Japanese only) 

Google Map showing Arazaki Park is HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment