Monday, November 25, 2013

YIWC Christmas Charity Bazaar - Part 2

More photos from the bazaar at which I volunteered..... Part 1 of this series is HERE

The weather was warm and sunny on this day; as a result, I spent most of the day outside, selling smaller handicrafts. This bazaar sold more than just handmade goods. I'll showcase more of the offered goods in photos below.


This table featured various food for the day -- okonomiaki (Japanese style pancakes), sausages, yakisoba (Japanese fried noodles), tonjiru (vegetables in a pork based soup). There was even hot wine, which was excellent! ^_^

Prices were about ¥200 for one dish ($2)

I bought a sausage for my lunch and chatted with the ladies for a while. They were so kind! 

This table was the most unique at the event. Called The White Elephant Table, it was a mis mash of knickknacks being sold for low prices. I took a peek: there were geita (Japanese wooden sandals), pottery, ceramics, all kinds of things. It was very similar to a flea market or a garage sale in the West.


The ladies manning the White Elephant table: 

Next to the White Elephant table, was this shop table -- filled with beaded jewelry. Jewelry, especially handmade, is quite popular among women in Japan. Her table was always quite busy.

I also purchased some things at the bazaar: a pair of handmade, made in Tokyo, leather shoes for $20 (they were worn once the lady told me).  I also got a poinsettia plant for my apartment entranceway.

Many members of the YIWC donated things to be sold at this bazaar and 100% of the money will go to support children's orphanages in the area. I was impressed with the community spirit at this event and will join another one in December. ^_^


~ Information ~

YIWC (Yokohama International Women's Club) always welcomes new members. Visit this site for more information. 

Access: 
YIWC meets at the Yokohama Athletic & Country Club. From Yokohama station, take the JR Negishi line to Yamate (one way, ¥150). After exiting the ticket gate, turn right and walk up the hill. Follow the signs to the Athletic Club.  

No comments:

Post a Comment