Sunday, November 24, 2013

YIWC Charity Christmas Bazaar - Part 1

Hidden in my desk drawer is a $1 notebook in which I write my goals -- for the week, month, year or years from now. There are crazy dreams noted in it, from "visit Patagonia" to "learn to sail a boat". A personal and more realistic goal I had set for this year was: to volunteer in the community.

For the latter part of 2013, I have been joining some older ladies in creating crafts. All ladies are members of the Yokohama International Women's Group, which focuses on fundraising for local charities. This past Saturday all of our craft creations were sold off to benefit two orphanages in the Yokohama area. I'll share some photos from the event.

The event took place on the grounds of a local shrine just off the famous Motomachi shopping street in Yokohama.

The craft area was set up inside....

Crafts for sale:

candy bracelets:

Xmas ornaments: 

Handmade Xmas stockings -- a very popular item:

I loved these happy bears in buckets: 
If these bears could talk, I'd think they'd say: Pull me out of this bucket!! 

General table filled with handmade items under $10: 

A festive table filled with treats for visitors: 

These tissue boxes were very popular -- everyone wanted one! 

Sign of the volunteer group:

Outside, there were many more things on sale. Below, a table filled with baked goods. By 2pm, this table was empty!
The sign reads: Xmas Bazaar | Yokohama International Women's Group

In the morning I got this photo of some of the homemade goodies before they were sold: 


...more goodies. You can see cookies, cupcakes, two kinds of cheesecake....yum!


Even Santa made a special appearance, offering photos for $5. 

I took more photos from the event, which I'll share tomorrow.


~ Information ~ 

The YIWC always welcomes new members. Their main base of operations is located near Yamate station, in Yokohama at the Yokohama Country & Athletic Club. YIWC information is HERE. The YCAC is HERE
Information about the charities the group supports is HERE

Access: 
JR Negishi Line from Yokohama station to Yamate station. Cost one way: ¥150 ($1.50). 
Walk up the hill, following the signs to the YCAClub. 

No comments:

Post a Comment