Monday, February 24, 2014

Snow Hike up Mt. Takao - Part 1

Last Friday, I participated in my monthly mountaineering group's hike. This month, we ventured up the unmarked (meaning, no trail) side of Mt. Takao, perhaps the most famous mountain in Tokyo.

While foreign readers may think: a mountain in Tokyo??? Tokyo city itself stretches north, where there are a few mountains. Mt. Takao is easily reached from Tokyo station via the Chuo line, in just under 60 minutes. Many city dwellers venture to this point for a chance to enjoy nature and an easy climb -- if you take the marked trails.

Our guides for the day took us to the ugara (back) side of Takao Mountain. What made this climb special was the one meter of snow on the mountain due to two large snowfalls in early and mid-February. After catching a bus from JR Takao station, we arrived at the starting point -- an educational forest camp.

A solo hiker checks his map:

At this camp, we checked our gear and prepared for the snow climb. I borrowed spats from the guide. It was my first time to wear spats, as this would also be my first experience hiking in snow.

The unusually large amount of snow at the camp:

When we reached the start of the hike, our guide informed those who had brought them, to put on their snowshoes. I watched one hiker next to me adjust hers...

Snowshoes!

About seven hikers had snowshoes and three of us did not. Those with shoes, hiked up first; those without, tried to follow in their footsteps, so as to not sink too much in the snow.

While the photo below doesn't show the mountain accurately, this was a very steep climb. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a 9 in difficulty. It was the most challenging climb I had ever undertaken, made more difficult by constant sinking in snow up to my thighs, as well as constantly dodging branches and trees.

Mid hike: 

After 30 ~ 40 minutes of climbing, we took a break. One woman, who had been having trouble with her snowshoes, wanted to give up and finish the climb using just her boots. As a result, the guide asked me: "Do you want to try?" I eagerly said yes.

I used traditional Japanese style snowshoes, made of curved bamboo! Below, the guide is showing me how to attach the cord to my boot:

After the guide's explanation, he said: "Now, you do the other one yourself."
I think I did a good job. ^_^
I was amazed at the difference wearing the snowshoes. It became much easier to climb, as my boots were not sinking too deeply into the snow. I felt like a cool (pun intended) climber. ^_^

I'll share more photos from our snow climb up Mt. Takao tomorrow.
Please be sure to visit again!


~ Information ~ 

Mount Takao is Tokyo city's most famous mountain. There is a temple and even a cable car (not in operation in the winter) which can whisk visitors to the top in no time. If you follow the easiest trail, it's a very easy climb. If you go through the backcountry (as shown in the post above), it's very steep and recommended for intermediate to advanced climbers only -- especially in winter/snow conditions. 

Access
JR Chuo line from Tokyo station to Takao station. Time: 57 minutes. Cost: ¥890 (about $9 one way).

Website
Official site with hiking trails, information on events and FAQ: HERE. The easiest trail is trail #1. 

Trip Advisor loves Mount Takao! See reviews of the mountain HERE.

Japan Guide show lovely photos of the temple at Mount Takao. Take a look HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment