Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Snow Hike up Mt. Takao -- Part 2

Stories and photos from a late February climb up the backcountry of Mt. Takao, Tokyo's most famous mountain, continue. Part one is HERE.

Yesterday's post showed the snow and how most of the hikers in our group used snowshoes to traverse up the mountain. Today's post will focus more on the backcountry trail we used to climb up Mt. Takao. As I mentioned, there were a lot of trees. I often joked that I must be lost...not in Japan, but in Canada!

Cutenekko's first snow climb...and loving it!

After I got my snowshoes on, my friend took this photo. It felt good to be standing ON TOP of the snow, rather than sinking in it (as was the case for the first 40 minutes of this climb...gah!)

This guide, if I translate his name into English is "Mr. Morning". ^_^ He taught me how to put on the snowshoes and also loaned me some proper stocks. Mine had the bottoms missing and as a result, when I hiked, my stocks were just stabbing the snow like some sadistic snow killer. At another rest stop, I got his photo. His explanations were very clear; I liked hiking with him. ^_^

"good" Morning!

It took approximately 3 hours to reach the summit due to the snow. We rewarded ourselves with an outdoor lunch. The group members laughed at my pink bento (lunch) box and thermos -- they were so heavy for climbing, they thought.

My hiking partner, Y-san sneaked a photo of me preparing hot coffee:

While it's true that my thermos and bento box were a bit heavy, I was rewarded with a gourmet lunch set: corn soup, rice with fish flakes, potato croquette,  salad, cheese filled hamburger and veggies. The other mountaineers suggested I bring a much lighter, cup noodle can next time. (laugh)

Super yummy lunch...^_^

Hot coffee: really tasty after a cold 3 hour climb!

We didn't spend much time at the top. As soon as lunch finished, we repacked and outfitted ourselves with crampons (spikes worn under the hiking boots) for the descent.

Y-senpai did manage to snap a few photos of me at the top of Mt. Takao. She and our other guide, Ms. N, said I looked "cool". Not sure if the pun was intended. (laugh)

Cool cutenekko? Takao mountain had about 1 meter of snow at the summit. Brrr!

Getting ready to head down from the top.... 

Our group look trail #4 down, which criss-crosses it's way down the mountain.

Cutenekko slowly says "good-bye" to Mt. Takao: 
Photo courtesy of Y-san
Trail #4 is famous for a wooden suspension bridge. The sight was amazing, more so with the snow glistening all around. I am sorry I didn't take enough photos here. It was too cold to stop and reach for the camera....

The lead guide walks the bridge:

Cutenekko prepares to "fly" over the bridge!
photo courtesy of Y-san
At the end of trail #4, we reached the temple gate on Mt. Takao. From here, we would walk a service road down to the train station. I rewarded myself with a photo and a big smile.

Hurray for my first snow hike!!
Photo courtesy of Y-san
My awesome hiking partner, Y-san posed with me at the gate. She has a lot more hiking experience than I, but also said: "This hike was really tough."
Photo provided by Y-san
I would like to challenge snow climbing again, next season. Unfortunately, the weather has warmed up in Japan and the snow is melting quickly.
Perhaps I can visit Mt. Takao in the spring to see the green side of this mountain. ^_^


~ Information ~ 

Mt. Takao rises 599 meters, or 1,965 feet above sea level. 

The wikipedia page is HERE. The official website for the mountain, which includes transportation and hiking trail information, is HERE.

Mt. Takao is an easy day trip outside of Tokyo. 

Access
From Tokyo
JR Chuo line from Tokyo station to Tako station. 
Time: 57 minutes one way. 
Cost: ¥890 ($9). 

From Yokohama
JR Yokohama line from Yokohama station to Hachioji. 
Change to JR Chuo line to Takao Station. 
Cost: ¥890 ($9) one way. 
Time: 59 minutes.

In spring and summer, this area is very crowded on weekends. You can take a cable car most of the way up, so if you stick to the trails, it's an easy climb. There are several restaurants at the top too (not open in winter) and at the base of the mountain. Several shops serve soba (buckwheat noodles) and have English menus. 



No comments:

Post a Comment