Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Mt. Kintoki in Hakone - Part 1

Sorry for the long absence.

Last Friday, I was invited by a fellow hiking club member to go to a famous mountain in the Hakone region of Japan. Hakone straddles both Kanagawa and Shizuoka prefectures and is a popular day trip for those from Tokyo.

Our purpose was to climb Mt. Kintoki, a popular hiking trail which, on a good day, would reward climbers with views of Mount Fuji.  Here are the photos from that day:


After arriving at Hakone-Yumoto station, I met my friend and we hopped on bus "T" to get to the trail head.
Our bus ride would take 20 minutes. 

From the bus stop, we walked about 10 minutes before arriving at this sign:

As you can see, Hakone is full of various hiking routes. My friend said she often visits Hakone to enjoy hiking and training. All routes are free and well signposted in Japanese & English.

Trail head sign:

Another trail head sign:
The actual hike started here.

My friend, Miss S, who is in her seventies, was my guide for the day. I had trouble keeping up with her -- she's really fit!

Despite slightly muddy conditions, we enjoyed blue skies. I requested a small stop here to take photos of the meadow (and to catch my breath! Miss S was the trail blazer, I was the snail. )

From the mid-way point, I got a beautiful view of Hakone valley, showing Owakudani (via Japan Guide), an active volcanic area:
Steam rising from the large mountain on the left, is Owakudani.

The rest of Mt. Kintoki looked like something from the desert -- we climbed over numerous rocks for the remaining time.

I'll share more photos from this climb and the view from the summit tomorrow. I hope you'll return!

~ Information ~ 

Going to Hakone? Get the Hakone Free Pass, which is available at many train stations. The pass comes in two-day or three-day options and covers all transportation in the Hakone area (including: boat tours, cable cars, buses, ropeways, and trains). Prices vary based on your departing station. I paid ¥4,900 ($50) for my two day pass. Passes are available from the vending machines at the station. To find it: select "English" then, "Passes or Discount Tickets", then "Free Pass", then "Hakone Free Pass".

Access to Hakone:
(from Tokyo) Ride the Odakyu "Romance Car" from Shinjuku to Hakone-Yumoto station. Travel time: about 1.5 hours. Cost: ¥2,080 one way ($20) ** You can use the Hokone free pass for this train, but you must buy a "limited express fare ticket". The limited express fare is an extra ¥890 ($9). More info about the Romance Car Limited Express train, is HERE

Or, take the Odakyu line Odawara. Change to the Hakone line (red train) and get off at the last stop, Hakone-Yumoto. Time: varies depending on departure point. Cost: About ¥900 ($9) one way -- completely covered with Hakone Free Pass.

Trip Advisor reviews of  Mt. Kintoki are HERE. Climbing information and access details are HERE. (via Must Love Japan) 


No comments:

Post a Comment