Saturday, April 19, 2014

Arabian Daze - Part 1

Back in late January, a friend  asked if I'd like to join her on a trip. "When is it?" I asked. "In one month," she replied. Unexpectedly, I said "Sure" which was likely due to the trip's cheap cost and the fact that I really like my friend.  ^_^ She's fun to chat with.

After a month of whirlwind planning, emailing tour companies and preparations, the two of us departed for Dubai, UAE on Feb.27th. Here are photos and stories from that eight-day adventure:

Departing Tokyo at 1:30am, and 11 hours later, we arrived at the airport looking very groggy eyed. From here, we could catch a "Ladies Only" taxi. Being our first time in an Islamic country, I was concerned about two women traveling alone. These pink "Ladies" taxis are only available from the airport, but offer great security.

Our driver: 
Please note: taxi fees from Dubai airport start at 25 Dhm.

We could not check into our hotel until late in the evening, so we headed over the Dubai Mall -- a massive shopping center which houses a skating rink, aquarium, etc.

A luxurious version of a souk (market) inside the Dubai Mall -- we both loved the camel statues! 

Water fountain inside the Souk area: 

Our walk took us past this huge aquarium tank:

Our main purpose for visiting Dubai Mall was to try camel meat. My friend and I are both adventurous eaters, so I found this restaurant online. The interior changed colors!

From pink...

...to aquamarine....

... to blue. ^_^

If you visit Dubai Mall, I highly recommend this featured restaurant, called Switch. If you Tweet or Instagram pics of your food, you'll get 5% off! The staff were really kind to us and the waiter used an iPad to show photos of all the food, answer questions, etc. English menus are available.

Here was the food challenge: a burger made from camel meat!! I ate this, and my friend ate pasta with a camel meat sauce. The camel meat was quite flavorful and very juicy. I loved it. ^_^

 To prove I survived the camel meat, I got this photo of me at Switch:
I was so sleepy, after the 11 hour flight....

We explored more of the first floor of the mall, coming across this art installation:

Being Canadian, I was even more excited to find this....a Timmy's...in Dubai!! Apparently, there are a lot of Canucks in the UAE, as this shop was quite busy. 

Despite the hot weather, the mall inside was cold! (hence the jacket)

Just outside the mall from Tim Horton's, you can find the world's tallest building, the Burj Khalifa, which stands at 829.8 meters (or 2,722 feet).
It was really difficult to fit the whole building in the photo...it's that tall! 

We didn't go inside or up the Khalifa, as we had to meet a tour guide for a desert adventure, which began at 3pm. That tour was the highlight of my time in Dubai, so be sure to check back to see the photos. ^_^

~ Information ~ 

Flights from HND in Tokyo to DXB in UAE depart daily at 1:30 am. Our tickets cost only ¥64,000 return ($640) via Emirates Airlines. Info & bookings HERE. ** Tip: complete your check in online before heading to the airport. Emirates had long line ups at the check in counter and service was slow...

DXB airport information is HERE. Tokyo's Haneda airport site, is HERE

Dubai Mall information is HERE. Plan one full day to enjoy all the shops and attractions.
Taxis from the airport to the mall should cost about 55 ~ 57 Dhm. 

Switch restaurant site is HERE. Reservations are not necessary. 

Read this interesting Reuters article on the rise of "Ladies Only" pink taxis in Dubai. (via Reuters.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment