Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Arabian Daze - 3

The first post in this series is HERE

We continued our desert safari tour by heading over to the company's desert camp. It was here, where we would spend the next four hours enjoying a multitude of special activities.

First up, my friend and I tried camel riding!

Close up of our camel: 

We made friends with some fellow travelers, gave them our cameras and they took photos while we rode around:
If you've ridden an elephant, it was just like that.

Next up, was sand boarding. I really wanted to try this, but the hike up the sandy hill was tough!

View from the hilltop:

I'm sorry I couldn't take photos while sliding down the sand on a snow board. I enjoyed it so much, I tried it again. The first time, I fell near the bottom. The second time, I made it all the way down. Woo!

After all that excitement, we explored the camp. An artist was creating sand art in small glass bottles:


Close up of his sand art:

The finished product: 

The camp also had a man who offered photos with his falcon. As I love animals, I couldn't resist:

A view of the desert camp, before sundown:

Part of this tour included a dance show. This man never stopped twirling to the music and used small drums, which he held up in various patterns. It was quite impressive.

As darkness fell, he flicked a switch which lit up his costume! 

We settled into the camp tents to enjoy a buffet meal. I took a photo of my plate, which included olives, tandori chicken, potato, salad, rice. It was pretty good.

The final show of the evening was a belly dancer. She used all the props in her dances -- the sword, cane, and scarf.

By 9pm, our tour concluded for the day and it was time to check into our hotel. Here I am at the entrance lobby:

Our "hotel" would actually be the Costa Fortuna cruise ship. I'll blog more about this cruise and our travels to four different ports, another day. Check back soon! ^_^


~ Information ~ 

The tour featured in this post is called: 4x4 Dubai Desert Safari Tour. You can book it through viator.com . Cost: $85 USD per person. Tour is from 15:00 ~ 21:00. Included in the tour: dune bashing, buffet meal, drinks (alcohol is extra), camel riding, sand boarding, henna tattoo, dance show and belly dance show. 

Costa Fortuna ship information is HERE. This 8 day cruise was $515 USD per person (not including port taxes or airfare) for an inside cabin. Departure port: Dubai UAE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment