Saturday, July 18, 2015

Millionaire's Row Tour in Miami

Last December, after finishing up a one week cruise, I had an additional day before flying back to Japan. My travel friend met up with a local friend in Miami; I decided to explore the city on my own.

In the early evening, I joined a boat tour to see the famous "millionaire's row"-- a series of islands housing many large mansions.

The tour boat departed from Bayside Marketplace -- a great area to walk around, enjoy free events, eat, or shop.

Photo: Bayside marina with a view of the Hard Rock Cafe in the distance


While waiting onboard the ship, I enjoyed a free salsa dance show dockside. See the video below:

Once the boat left, we cruised slowly through the harbor, getting great views of the city skyline and working dock fixings.

(clockwise from top left)
Miami skyline/ one of many cruise ships in port/ 
 Disney ship "Wonder"/ a kid paddle boarding/ iron birds (cranes):

A guide on our ship talked us through the various homes on millionaire's row. The nickname "Millionaire's Row" was given to a cluster of small islands off the coast of Miami city. The islands are centrally located -- adjacent to the Miami cruise port terminal, so it's possible to see some of the huge homes from your cruise ship. The islands are called: Star, Hibiscus, and Palm.

Many of the home were owned by NBA stars (Shaquille O'Neal), TV & movie stars (Sylvester Stallone, Don Johnson), or musicians (Juilio Iglesias, Madonna). Most on the tour were surprised to learn Elizabeth Taylor's lovely pink home, when she passed away, was left to her housekeeper!

(clockwise from top left)
Elizabeth Taylor's former home / the most expensive home in millionaire's row / two white mansions used in music videos and our boat.

As the sun set, I tried out the color filters on my Nikon P600. The lights from the various buildings and bridges allowed for some unique shots. Enjoy!

Scenes of the Miami skyline, boats and bridges:

Miami was okay; it reminded me a lot of Monte Carlo -- if you are rich, you'll fit in nicely there. If you're a poor student like me, you'll just want to hurry up and get out of there! I have always felt really uncomfortable around wealthy people, perhaps because I associate those with a lot of money as not being authentic. There is something tangible about people who make monthly budgets, or who earn less than $1,800 a month (me) and still manage to find the means to travel. I admire those who work hard, budget harder and play the hardest.

Happy frugal travels!

Information:

Miami boat tour, provided by Island Queen Cruising. Website and tours HERE.

Cost
$24 USD

Duration
About 3 hours

Tour departs Bayside Marketplace. 
Allow time before the cruise to shop or view events here! While I waited to join my cruise, I enjoyed a free salsa dance show, next to the port. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment