Sunday, October 4, 2015

Vancouver BC - Part 4

This is part of a travel series: ONE / TWO / THREE (click to see). 

In this post, we will quickly explore Vancouver's Granville Island.

Walking along Yaletown's water front, my parents and I caught a tiny tug taxi over to Granville Island. For about $3, this water taxi ferries passengers to various docks along the water ways of Vancouver. We just took a one minute jaunt over to the island, famous with tourists due to its expansive food market.

the aqua bus - very cute eh? 
In this market, visitors can find fresh fish, vegetables, fruit, flowers, chocolates, sweets, and homemade items such as jewelry or soap. It's expensive, but a nice place to stroll around. Many tourists buy take out food here, and sit along the wharf to soak in the sea views.
soap, fish eating fish (?) & rainbow roses (yes, they were real!)
I was surprised to notice that even in the month of early September, leaves were beginning to fall. The feeling reminded me of my having to leave soon... 

cutenekko's shadow amid the leaves
The departing day had finally arrived; my parent's flight left at noon, I had to wait another 4 hours before my flight was to take off. I spent my time exploring the various shops in Vancouver airport and playing around with my camera. In a hidden atrium, a large totem pole stood tall. I fiddled a bit to get it in frame...I liked the way it came out. What do you guys think?
At Vancouver airport
My 10-day adventure in Canada ended on a sad note -- I had to come back to Japan. Recently, I feel tired living overseas. I have been an expat for almost half of my life; what was once a daily excitement of new discoveries, has become like singing a tedious, lonesome song. You just want it to end. 

I feel my Canadian identity pulling away from Asia. It's difficult to explain to those who have not lived in a foreign country; a part of yourself becomes lost with each move. I have picked up various cultural habits from Thailand, Japan, the U.S and Germany, but where is my whole, Canadian self? People often ask me "Where are you from?" and I struggle to answer this question. Home is where you live, yes, but not quite. Your heart will always belong to the place of greatest security. 

Enjoy life & find your home. 

Information:



No comments:

Post a Comment