Monday, April 16, 2012

Songkran Culture #2

A presentation regarding the cultural aspects of the Songkran (New Year) festival in Thailand continues....

In the lobby of the building housing the school, sat an image of Buddha adorned with flowers. This was where we (as students of the school) and others who own shops in the building could pay their respects and offer holy water for Songkran celebrations.

The Buddha:


A teacher demonstrates pouring the water:


It's important to note: one should never pour water over the head of Buddha. The proper etiquette is over Buddha's shoulder, or His hands. Students took turns pouring water and offering a wish/ prayer for the New Year. A fellow student took my photo while I prayed for "money!!"...because I recently seem to be spending more than saving... (laugh)

Cutenekko prays..in Thai!
(My wish in Thai: chan yaak ja gep nung 
= I want to keep/get money)


Cutenekko pouring the water 
(sorry you can't see...
The teachers were smiling because I was the only one to speak my wish out loud in Thai. Yay!)


A fellow student making his offering/ pouring the water:



 In Thailand, when we pray, we clasp the hands together, similar to the pattern Christians use when praying in a church. Rather than interlocking the fingers, the hand remains flat and one joins the thumbs together. The shape represents a lotus flower. There are three places on the body one holds their hands while praying: forehead, nose, and chest. A teacher explained each location and for which person/ situation we hold our hands in prayer:

"The hands at the forehead are for images of Buddha only."

"The hands held at one's nose are to show respect to elders and 
people in higher positions of authority, such as teachers."

"Hands held at the chest are for higher position or elderly people to return the prayer greeting."

Finally, the teachers explained about two more things: their shirts and clay like powder Thais mix with water and put on the face of those of the opposite sex. 

The powder is made of clay and is also for holy purposes. It is to mark the person as "cleansed" -- similar to a baptism in the Catholic faith. At a wedding ceremony, for example, the bride and groom are marked with this clay powder on their forehead....marked with 3 small dots. During Songkran, this powder is smeared over the face -- there are no rules, unfortunately. 

The teachers mix the clay powder:

So, why the flowery Hawaiian shirts? Thais wear these during the festival/ holiday season. I like them. Girls can wear a small sundress too. ^_^ People get really wet from the water fights during the Songkran holidays, so these shirts can be worn and thrown away. 

Check again tomorrow to see the famous water fights! I went on to Silom road last Friday just to join in the water fun. ^_^ Videos and photos will be posted. 

Tourism Authority of Thailand's site on "Songkran Splendors" can be seen HERE.  

6 comments:

  1. Hey girl,
    Another great post with so much culture. With that being said I just wanted to clarify a bit of my culture since you mentioned it.

    Baptism in the Catholic faith is not about cleansing, but about dying and being reborn in Christ.

    The word 'Baptism' comes from a Greek word that means to 'plunge' or 'immerse'. To 'plunge' someone in water represents the person dying, being buried and resurrecting with Christ as a 'new creature.' (C.C.C. # 1214) Some call this Sacrament 'the washing of regeneration and renewal by the Holy Spirit' because Baptism results in a new birth of water and the Spirit. Without it, no one can enter the Kingdom of God. [Jn. 3:5] (C.C.C. # 1215)

    I hope you don't take this the wrong way, I just wanted your readers to have accurate information. Hugs, AL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna-Lise,

    Hey, thank you! I have been surrounded by Buddhism while in Asia, so I feel detached from Christianity lately. Your comments really helped..and I didn't know the word was Greek for "plunge" &/or "immerse". I love culture -- it's so interesting! ^_^ Thank you for sharing that with my readers.
    -S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so good to see Khru Pong (and you, of course)!
    He looks very slim by the way. I think he lost some weight.
    All the best from Germany ヽ(*≧ω≦)ノ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Corgi! I agree. His talks in class are the best now. We talk about really private things that I probably wouldn't mention to most people. I'm surprised how speaking in a different language shuts down my inhibitions. ^o^

    I haven't forgotten your Easter email! Just please be patient with me... (>_<) Sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS to Corgi:

    "It is so good to see Khru Pong (and you, of course)!" --- So...you like my butt eh?? ^_^ hahaha...
    Yeah, I've been working out...(laugh)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha! Your butt really caught my eye and I actually wanted to comment on it, but I didn't wanted your blog readers to think that I'm a freak ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ

    ReplyDelete