Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Songkran Culture #3

Information related to the Thai New Year celebrations (called "Songkran") continues...

On Friday, April 13, I headed over to Silom Road to observe & play in the famous Songkran water fights. From 2pm, Silom Road was designated a "splash zone" -- the road was closed to all vehicles and people could enjoy splashing each other with water.

I got there quite early, around noon, and observed the many vendors getting ready for the festival. The street was lined with people selling clay (which you mix with water) and small buckets.

Clay vendors:


There were also a lot of vendors selling water guns, drinks and light snacks...

More vendors:


Tourists travel to Thailand from all over the world to participate in the Songkran festival. In the photo below, you can see some farang (Thai for "foreigners") armed with their water guns...


 From this point on, I got closer to the action, and had to put my camera in a ziplock bag to protect it from the water. Thus, the photos will appear slightly blurry; very sorry.

You can see firefighters who enjoyed hosing down festival goers with water from their fire hoses. These guys never stopped smiling...


The crowd:


A firefighter enjoying himself:


I took a video from far away to give my readers a sense of what the water fights are about. As you can see, you get very wet!! Enjoy the video ^_^

Silom Road, just before the start of the festival (around 1pm):

I got a great shot of the water spray which created a rainbow. Looks beautiful, no? ^_^

Before the road was closed to traffic, 3 promotional trucks came by. One was filled with some shirtless guys -- who were pretty hot! Wow. I took a video for my female blog fans...and you're very welcome.^_^

Hot + wet + shirtless muscle guys = Pure cutenekko happiness. ^_^ Woo!




I hope you enjoyed this year's Songkran festivities as much as I did. I am looking forward to posting more festivals & events from my travels. ^_^ Thanks for visiting! 

Songkran finished up yesterday in the Kingdom. Next year, will you visit? ^_^

2 comments:

  1. If you are in Thailand now, head to Pattaya, where the Songkran water fights are on now until April 22nd... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...just to update my readers: I'll be traveling from Thursday, April 19. Stops include: Chiba, Tokyo, Kanagawa, Nagoya and 2 secret locations.
    I hope to blog about my adventures when I return.
    Have a nice weekend everyone! ^_^/

    ReplyDelete