Friday, May 10, 2013

Degustación de Tapas - Part 6

Travels in Barcelona, Spain continue...

Tapas are small, succulent dishes of Spanish cuisine, which give diners a sense of different ingredients, flavors, etc. The title of this blog series, Degustación de Tapas, means "Tapas Tasting". My trip to Barcelona had been deliciously fun thus far, but the real reason for traveling was to get a "taste" of not only Spain, but also, Europe.

After lunch, (see yesterday's post) my travel partner and I jumped in a taxi and lugged our luggage over to this place: Terminal B at Moll Adossat.
Someone taking my picture, while I'm taking a picture! (laugh)
What were we doing here? Well, I wanted to get on board this: The Liberty of the Seas.
Yay! My first cruise!
My friend and I had quite a history together which always involved water -- we had taken harbor cruises together, went fishing, hiked around an island, stolled through an oceanfront park,  and drove along an ocean toll road. As lovers of water, we both really wanted to try a cruise, so my friend found the cruise ship and I made the reservations.

The five night cruise aboard the Liberty would take us to three different countries, and four different ports. We were extremely excited. ^_^

Being my first cruise, I took photos of the whole process. The check in system was similar to boarding a flight....
Our room was on Deck 6, so we got in the appropriate line up, waiting only about 10 minutes. 

The check in counter. 
I was amazed at the number of staff. The whole process was very smooth and over in less than 20 minutes. 

At check in, we were giving our SeaPass card. It has your name, room number and muster (emergency drill) station listed on it. The SeaPass card becomes your passport and is used to identify you on board.

Once onboard, there is a security check in which staff take your photo and register it to the SeaPass card. Every time you leave and re-board the ship, they check your photo and card, making sure your face matches their information.
This line up only took 5 minutes.
After passing security, we enjoyed getting lost while trying to find our room. ^_^ After a long walk, we found it!! ^_^

I had read before taking this trip that cruise ship staterooms are small, cramped, etc. I was pleasantly surprised to find our spacious room was slightly bigger than my Japanese apartment. (laugh) Let's take a tour!

The toilet and shower:

Checking out the vanity mirror: 


A "Welcome Aboard!" message:

View of the whole stateroom.
This was a superior balcony room, Deck 6. 

The balcony. 

My friend soon got anxious and wanted to try the other purpose for selecting a cruise -- the food!  We headed down one deck to our dining room and enjoyed our first onboard meal. Check out the happy faces!!

My appetizer -- shrimp with garlic bread:


My main dish -- roast pork: 

The most sinful dessert ever -- chocolate mousse cake with ice cream:
I was disappointed with myself as I couldn't finish it.
Whaaa!
The view from our dining room looking down at the other two dining rooms: 

Have your eyes been filled with a feast of delectable photos yet? If you're still hungry, there will be more Tapas served up tomorrow. ^_^


Several cruise ship company's sail out of Barcelona. Information about the cruise terminal is HERE

The Liberty of the Seas, by Royal Caribbean, is the third largest ship in the world (tied with 3 other ships), and ranks the eighth most popular ship on Cruise Critic. Photos and info on the ship can be found HERE. The top ten most popular cruises can be found HERE

A list of the world's largest cruise ships is HERE

2 comments:

  1. Hi sweetie,
    I'm sorry for being such a lousy correspondent. I am super jealous of your vacation ;) Have fun and let's skype soon. xoxo Anna-Lise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna-Lise! No worries. I know you're busy. Soon it will be summer vacation though...are you getting excited?? ^_^

    ReplyDelete