Sunday, October 4, 2020

Maui, HI - Part III

Scenic Drive - Reverse Route to Hana via Kula.

For the last full day spent on Maui island, we had to branch away from our usual cycling adventures. For the entire trip we managed to only get around the island on our bikes; for one day, we rented a car and would take a scenic drive along the south east coast. The reason for this was several:
  • We had to be out of our rental by noon.
  • We had to dismantle and pack our bikes into our bike boxes for the flight home later that evening. 
  • The car rental company gave us permission to store our bike boxes and suitcases at the rental shop while we were out driving.(We used Kihei Rent-A-Car -- highly recommended!) 

Once in the car, we took highway 37 and 377 heading south-southeast towards Kula. The route took us past the churches we had biked the day before and we drove until we reached a small farm. The views from a public park nearby were spectacular.....



Looking down the hillside to the Pacific ocean:



We stopped at the Lavender Farm, Ali'i Kula Lavender, which has an immense garden, walking paths, a tea room and of course, lavender fields. It's not expensive to enter ($4? for parking) and the walk was refreshing. 

Along the various walking paths were many unique plants, flowers and trees. I think we spent about 45 minutes here strolling around the grounds and I snapped quite a few photos...

It's almost as if the tree is bending backwards in a long stretch...


Scenic view:


A Buddha tucked in among the tropical plants.


The famous lavender fields.

 

After this stop, we drove further south and stopped at Ulupalakua Ranch Store for some good ol' outdoor barbecue (sorry no photos). I rarely eat red meat, but this was a special occasion, so I chowed down on a burger and salad. It was delicious! The best part is that once you place your order, they will grill it outside on the deck to your liking and you can load up your burger with your favourite condiments. 


We did not go all the way to Hana, as both of us had been years prior. Instead, we called it a day and started on the drive back to Kihei to return the car. 


On the way back, we stopped at the infamous Grandma's Coffee House for a cup of java (sorry, no photos). Grandma's has a long history on Maui as she has been one of the first coffee roasters on the island (since 1918). It's worth a stop. The shop is very quaint and has pastries and baked goods on offer. There is little parking out front, so you may need to park on a side road and walk. 

That's it for Maui. I am looking forward to going back again...^-^

Bonus:

Due to the nature of my work, I am rarely home. As much as I would love to get a pet, I cannot. Thus, my boyfriend surprised me one day with a small gift - a mini husky plush toy. I take this little guy in my car and on the road, wherever I go. His name is Oliver. Here he is at the airport in Canada, finishing up the foam in my coffee before heading to Maui. This is the same photo I use on my Garmin Connect app and on Rouvy (indoor cycling app). So, if you see this little guy out and about on the apps, say hi or connect with me. I'm happy to follow you back.

 

References for this post:

Ali'i Kula Lavender. (n.d.). Home. URL.

Grandma's Coffee House. (2017). URL

Rouvy. (2020). VirtualTraining, s.r.o.URL

Ulupalakuaranch.com. (2018). Ulupalakua ranch store & grill: Home. URL.

No comments:

Post a Comment