Saturday, January 15, 2011

Klu'skap Art Gallery

I think the image of "indians" is synonymous with North America. When I lived in Germany, my host sister even asked: "Is it possible to see an Indian in Canada?"

After reading an article in the local paper about a new exhibition of Native Canadian art at a local gallery, I decided I had to go and check it out.

The gallery's owner, Mr. Pascal Pelletier, invited my folks and I inside even though a sign on the door said: "closed". I felt spoiled next as Mr. Pelletier actually took the time to explain the meaning, history and the artist's personal background for each painting. Amazing hospitality!

These works are from one artist: Mr. Roger J. Simon (1954 - 2000). He lived and painted Indian tribes in the Maritimes, British Columbia and Santa Fe, New Mexico (U.S.A).

When I asked if I could take photos for my blog, his response was positive: "As long as you don't profit off it, go right ahead."

I thought I would share with you some of the stories for several of the works which, in my mind, stood out.

Painting #1:
- Depicts "Temptations" in native folklore. A God, or some being "tempting you" and the inner struggle to resist. Beautiful.


Painting #2:
- From the "Horse Series". The complete series is 6-8 paintings in total. As the gallery owner explained: "Simon was afraid of horses as a child. As he grew older, he began to paint horses. The first, a rocking horse, to represent his childhood. The next, a chief standing in front of some horses, but still fearful, as represented in a cougar painted in the background. Finally, the artist depicts himself sitting on a horse, becoming braver and the last in the series, shows him riding tall on the horse, the horse running. The artist has overcome his fear. He died shortly after that painting was completed." That story just blew me away. While the artist didn't actually ride a real horse, he depicted his fear in the paint and overcame that fear in paint--his work. I thought it to be very profound.


The artist, Roger J. Simon:


I hope you enjoyed the works and will be inspired to visit YOUR local art gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment