Friday, July 6, 2012

Exploring Atami

This post is a continuation of "Fishing in Atami", published yesterday.


My buddy and I capped off a day of fishing by walking around the oceanfront of Atami. I was surprised by the numer of palm trees:


Near the fishing pier was a ropeway, which led to something interesting -- a sex museum! Just the price made me think twice -- it costs ¥1,700 per person. Maybe I will go back, visit, and make a report for my readers. ^o^

Some photos which preview the (s)exhibits...

oh-la-la...looks pretty tame, actually.
 Next to the ropeway, was a nice view of the many boats in the harbor. Atami is also famous for scuba diving, so we saw many signs for "boat dives".


Another sight, which has become necessary since last March 11th--tsunami warning signs. These were posted all over the harbor front. The Japanese reads: (after an earthquake)"Soon, evacuate to a high area." 
As I love boats, I took a photo of an usual one -- a jet boat. This one speeds across the Pacific Ocean to Ooshima island, off the coast of Tokyo.


Walking downtown, I saw many of these "urban rivers":

Here is Sun Beach, Atami, which a sign said opened in Showa 61 (1986):
 

The palm trees really make Atami appear like a tropical island: 
We ate an early dinner, shopped for some souvenirs and called it day. By time I got home, it was 10 pm! Atami is an interesting oceanside town; Japan isn't only a concrete jungle, which is perhaps most people's opinion when thinking of the many large cities in this country (Tokyo, Osaka, Hiroshima, etc). I hope you can visit Atami someday. ^_^


Information about Atami is available HERE (by CNN Go). Diving info for Atami is available HERE


***Special Bonus***
(image courtesy of blogspot)
Today is "Tanabata" (Star Festival) in Japan. Children write their wish on a piece of paper, tying it to a bamboo tree. You can read the history about this festival HERE. I will attend a local event and make a report soon. ^_^  

No comments:

Post a Comment