Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Bus Trip - Part 4

....a trip to the Kinki & Chubu regions of Japan continues. This time, we move east.

After spending 3 days in Osaka, I jumped on the bus in the morning and began heading east. My elephant joined me on the almost empty bus.

My elephant = best travel partner ever!


The overcast weather added to the grey atmosphere as we said "good-bye" to Osaka:


I passed the 3.5 hour ride by watching videos of Dave Chappelle's stand up routine, and Kylie's Anti-tour on You Tube. As for my elephant, I think he slept. (laugh) We arrived in Nagoya, where I used to live for 8 years. I wanted to visit a good friend of mine here, the super funny and chatty, Miss W.

She had a request: to eat 手羽先 [te-ba-sa-ki = chicken wings], a speciality in Nagoya. I took her to the same place we went to last year -- Yama Chan!

Our food: 


As I don't drink alcohol, I was looking over the menu for something unique to drink that would make me at least, feel giddy. I found my favorite....ラムネ [ra-u-ne = Japanese cream soda]. My friend had never heard of it, so I showed her how to open the bottle...and promptly failed and had to ask the waitress for help. (laugh!)

The bottle, before opening:

The video of how to open a ramune bottle with special bonus!
Cutenekko's giggle ^_^

My friend is one of the few with whom I can talk about anything and everything. It's really nice to have a friend like that. We enjoyed being girls and talking over our drinks about love, relationships, jobs, life in Japan and all the unique things in between.

I stayed over at W's place, and we ended up talking even more, this time, over her homemade grapefruit-shu (liquor). I don't drink, but to say "no" to alcohol which has been handmade, would have been regretful. The drink was perfect on a hot, end-of-the-summer day.

Her grapefruit liquor:

My glass:


Amusingly, I felt woozy after only one glass. Gahhhh! We laughed over my weakness -- first, I couldn't open a Ramune bottle, and then, can't drink a half a glass of liquor without falling over. Sheesh! (laugh)

Tune in tomorrow; I will show you what is known as a Nagoya "morning set".

Yama chan is famous for chicken wings. There are branches all over Nagoya, and some friends in Tokyo said you can find Yama chan in the big city too. Website HERE (Japanese only | 日本語だけ)Average price for a plate of wings: ¥300. One bottle of Ramune costs about ¥130~150. 

No comments:

Post a Comment