Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Kanchanaburi by Train #5

Our trek to this Western province in Thailand continues with a long tail boat tour of the River Kwai...

My mom and dad are quite unique travelers. They don't care for the "touristy" places, and instead, prefer to view "real life". So, this boat tour, which consisted of a one hour jaunt up the river and back, offered them a view of Thailand that few tourists see.

Along the tour, we could see many interesting things...

Bamboo rafts:


Amazing views...


An elephant camp -- can you spot the hidden elephant? ^_^


A suspension bridge:


As the afternoon arrived, we headed back to the train station for the journey home. I took many photos of Nam Tok station and was very proud of my Thai language skills -- ordering food, tickets and buying some trinkets from a local shop -- all in Thai! My dad said the other foreign tourists are in awe of you! ^_^ (happy!)

Nam Tok Station sign:


Station bell (rung before the train heads out):


It was interesting here, because, while waiting for the train, I spotted a young Japanese guy. I stopped him and we got to chatting -- in Japanese -- while local Thai people looked on. Our audience became even more confused --- why can a white, blonde girl speak Thai AND Japanese??!?! (laugh)

After chatting, my father and mother both said: "Wow, your Japanese is really good!" It's funny, after leaving Japan, my language skills became even better...go figure. o_O

Ticket board and window:


Finally on board:


View opposite our seats -- two sinks!


Station Master gets ready to ring the bell...


Please check in again tomorrow. You'll be able to see a video I shot of the most beautiful part of this railway. It's really stunning and should be listed as one of the "most scenic train rides in the world!" Trust me, you won't be disappointed! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment