Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Travels in Thailand - Part 10

...a tour to Kanchanaburi continues...

I advised my brother and his girlfriend to upgrade our tickets to the "tourist carriage". I had never ridden in this special car, but thought it might be nice. When we boarded, I was very happy we changed!

Inside our special car: 

Soon after sitting down, our train departed and traveled over the bridge. If you'd like to see a video, visit HERE. I was surprised, as next, we were presented with a box!

Ohhh...what's inside? 

Let's open the box! 
...yum! Sweets!! ^_^

There are two things I really love in life lately -- traveling by train and eating delicious food. If I can do the two together, it will create nothing but an explosion of happiness for me. Even my brother commented: "Whoa, your whole face changed just now S!"

The explosion of happiness...well, looking a little subdued due to the heat (laugh): 

Carriage staff kept coming by with more water, cola and wet towels. The service was excellent! We happily nibbled and drank our way through one hour, passing by the Thai countryside...

River view: 

Finally, our train reached the famous pass, in which it travels along a sheer cliff. I had blogged about this before. Visit HERE to see. I took one photo to show the train...

Looking back at the train and tourists: 

After reaching our station, we headed in a van to our restaurant for lunch. It was a pretty neat place, floating on the river Kwai!

The dock of our restaurant: 

My lunch: 

For the afternoon, only the three of us had booked an optional stop: Tiger Temple. I was really excited to see the big cats up close. At the temple, large, imposing rocks sloped down towards the tigers...

...I'll save the rest for tomorrow. ^_^ 

Kanchanaburi is about 3 hours by van/car from Bangkok. The train is not frequent, only twice a day from BKK to Nam Tok (last station). Cost is 100 Baht. To upgrade to the special car, you need to pay an additional 200 Baht. If you do ride the special car, you'll receive: a lunch box, two waters, cold towel, a glass of cola or ice water, and a special ticket and certificate explaining the history of the River Kwai railroad. 


Train information and schedules can be found HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment