Monday, June 11, 2012

Travels in Thailand - Part 9

My brother had requested only one thing while in Thailand -- he wanted to see the famous bridge over the River Kwai and ride the train. I was happy to oblige. We booked a 2 day all inclusive tour which included many, many activities.

Our first stop in Kanchanaburi was the war cemetery. I was in awe of the beauty of the location..

Tombs..R.I.P: 


Cross: 


View of the cemetery from the front gate: 
I thought Thais should be very proud of this cemetery. It's beautiful and very respectful to those who lost their lives in the war. 


Next, our group headed over the war museum. Here, we saw a huge steam train used by the Japanese to carry prisoners:


A unique view, bells created by old bomb shells: 

While walking through, I watched an artist hammering out leather into intricate patterns:

...I also almost stepped on a huge lizard!


 After the museum, I headed over to view the bridge. The weather was perfect, but very hot!

We were able to walk across the bridge as well, so I did! ^_^ 

On the bridge: 

View from the bridge: 

A plaque: 

View 2: 
After enjoying the bridge and local area, it was time to board the train. I'll save that for tomorrow. ^_^ 

Train's a'coming! 
Kanchanaburi is located 3 hours outside of Bangkok. The bridge, war cemetery and museum are popular stops for tourists. Tour information can be found HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment