Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Travels in Thailand - Part 11

..a trip to Kanchanaburi continues...

Yesterday, I mentioned to my readers that I would visit a Tiger Temple. It's quite controversial, as many believe the tigers to be drugged so they will be docile enough to handle. It's up to travelers to decide if they want to visit.

After waiting in line for my guide, I was quite surprised. I had anticipated to get only one or two photos with ONE tiger. Instead, I was lead by the hand to at least 4 different cats, posing at each one. The results were spectacular!

Kitty #1: 


He was really passed out, enjoying the nice weather:



Kitty #2 - a tiger cub: 


Kitty #3 -- another tiger cub: 


Kitty #4 -- enjoying the shade: 


He he is again, looking up:

It's interesting to note: you must sign a waiver stating you understand the dangers involved, before entering the compound. Also, once inside, near the tigers, you are lead to each cat via a guide. One guide per person. Next to each tiger are two handlers, who monitor the condition of the cats and prevent visitors from coming close to the head/face of the animals. I noticed that each time I could kneel to get a photo, I was told specifically where to stand and place my hand on the cat. We were not allowed anywhere near the head or front of the big cats (for obvious reasons).

Now the question: Are the tigers drugged? They certainly seemed to be. The explanation given my temple staff was:
"The tigers are fed a lot before visits from guests are allowed. Also, during the afternoon (when guests are allowed near the cats) it's hot and the tigers are resting due to the heat. Finally, all tigers on the compound are raised as cubs, meaning, they have been exposed to humans all their lives and therefore, are comfortable around people."
Again, it's up to visitors to the Kingdom to decide whether or not you agree with the situation at the temple.

I'll show you around some more...
Throughout the compound, there were other animals too. We saw water buffalo, cooling off:

At the entrance of the temple, I noticed a herd of cows walking...

...and they passed right in front of me! I was pretty impressed as they traveled without a guide  (cow herder?). Thailand is pretty neat, eh? ^_^

The first day of our tour isn't finished yet! Tomorrow, I'll show you more.

Tiger Temple information can be found HERE. If you have at least a month to spare, you can volunteer here. ^_^ Note: it's not cheap to visit. The entrance fee is 600 Baht (=$18 / 1,800 yen) per person. Best to go on a tour or with a group. It's quite far from the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment