Thursday, August 2, 2012

江ノ島ビーチ Enoshima Beach

I was invited by another Kanagawa resident to enjoy the beach near Enoshima island. I have never been to a beach in Japan (!) so I was excited to try something new.

Most of the beach goers were young high school or university students. I felt a little out of place, being older; on the other hand, my elephant and I could enjoy nice views of the ocean.

My elephant, enjoying the surf and sand...


My friend and I found a spot on the sand close to the water. We enjoyed swimming and I was taught how to body surf. (not really my thing though....)

View to my left....


....and right.


The beach is free and had several roped off areas: one for swimmers, one for jet skis and banana boat rides, and another area for surfers. The waves don't get very high here, so it's an ideal spot for beginner surfers. I think I will try that next time. ^_^

beach nekko:

Some things I observed about the beach culture in Japan:
- Girls "dress up" here. Bikinis with fake boobie inserts (to make their cleavage look better?), short skirts, waterproof make up, etc. It was a bit much I thought. 


- Enoshima apparently has a reputation as a "pick up" beach. Lots of guys will try to approach girls here. This is true, because a Kanagawa police officer tried to pick me up while I was sitting on my mat. Who knew Japanese cops like foreign girls?! o_O


- You can rent body boards and inflatable tubes for ¥500. Drinks and ice cream are also sold. Umbrellas (to stick in the sand) can be rented too (sorry, I didn't check the cost).

I feel lucky to be living so close to such a great beach. By train it takes less than 30 minutes. I will be sure to visit again! ^_^

Enoshima beach is located on the Odakyu line, station: Katase-Enoshima. From the station, the beach is a 5 minute walk. Enoshima island is about 5 minutes further on. There is no entrance fee for the beach. What to bring: a mat, towel, sunscreen. Lockers are available but I was told not to worry about thieves or pickpockets, so I just left my stuff on my mat. Enoshima travel wiki is HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment