Thursday, August 23, 2012

Yamate Italian Garden Park (山手イタリア山庭公園) - Part 1

I had to visit the dentist again. However, as it was my day off, and before heading home, I decided to explore around downtown Yokohama. It was a beautiful, albeit hot day, but to walk under a blue sky was so refreshing. Plus the hot, sunny weather reminded me of my days in Bangkok; I guess I have become a bit of a desert flower -- one who blooms best under the sun.

After researching, I selected Ishikawa Cho station. From this station, you can walk to many famous points in Yokohama city -- Motomatchi shopping street, Chinatown, etc. As I love architecture, gardens and great views, I headed up the hill to see Yamate -- which was famous in the late 1880 ~ 1920's as the residence of choice for foreigners living in Japan. Here, many restored Western houses can be enjoyed for free. ^_^

Let's take a close look at two of these homes -- Diplomat's house and Bluff 18 Ban-Kan.
The distance from the station is about 350 meters -- all uphill -- and the route is well signposted.

Map showing the route from Ishikawa Cho station to 
Yamate Italian Garden Park (山手イタリア庭公園.)

After hiking up the hill, I reached the first house: 外交官の家 (Gai-kou-kan no - ie | Diplomat's house).
Outside:

A kind staff worker met me outside and gave me slippers (you mustn't wear your outside shoes while touring the inside) and a free paper fan (well, it was a hot day!). Photos are allowed inside, so I'll share the most interesting points.

Main dining hall:

Living room:

My favorite room -- the sunroom....looks ready for Uno! ^_^

The view from the sunroom was quite special. From the window, one can enjoy all the famous sights of Yokohama -- Bay Bridge, Landmark Tower, and the rear garden:
I was surprised to find an interesting arrangement of flowers tucked in an alcove, near the living room; the flowers were inside an oversized martini glass!

I loved this design idea!
Upstairs, I checked out the bedrooms, bath and home office. The brass beds reminded me of my room as a child -- I had something very similar:
The Diplomat's house also featured a large garden. The view again, was spectacular! Here, you could see Yokohama's Bay Bridge and the Marine Tower...
The final shot shows the architectural style of this restored home. According to the staff, the home was designed by the American architect, J.M Gardiner. Hard to believe this is Japan, no? ^_^
Check in again tomorrow to see the other house I visited, Bluff 18 Ban-Kan.

Yamate Italian Yama Garden Park & Gaikan-no-le (Diplomat's House) is located about 350 meters uphill from Ishikawa Cho station (JR Negishi line). Admission is free. Open 09.00 ~ 17.00 every day except every 4th Wednesday & holidays. Information in English is HERE
日本語の情報はここです。

No comments:

Post a Comment