Monday, April 18, 2011

Mansion 7 (Part 2)

As mentioned yesterday, I visited Mansion 7 and, while walking around, spied something...

A fortune teller's shop!


Thais are quite superstitious, and will often consult with a fortune teller before making major decisions. It is so commonplace, that a friend mentioned she was sitting in a Starbucks, when she noticed a Thai couple behind her getting a reading done!

I entered the store and decided to give this part of Thai culture a try...

The cards are ready...


The lady I had was very kind and spoke English quite well. For 30 minutes, she proceeded to read my cards. She answered questions about love, health, money, work, the future and finally, read my palm. I was quite impressed. She obviously loved her work, taking the time to explain each set of cards, why different sets are used for different questions, the symbolism of each card, etc.

Let's see what I got....


Now, I know you are waiting for the juicy bits. I will share only one question/answer with you. I had been thinking to move out of Thailand recently, so I asked: "Should I move or stay?"

My cards are revealed:


My cards were surprising: moving was bad, very bad. All three cards I chose were terrible -- one being a sword stuck in a stone with a dead tree, another, a woman waiting and waiting, and the last, trying to fly up but falling down. Yikes!

Fortune Telling is an interesting part of Thai culture. Bangkok Podcast also did a show on this phenomenon. Click here to see the page and listen as two other Canadians try their "luck".

It was fun. I hope you'll give it a try. ^_^

The Fortune Teller's shop is located inside Mansion 7. MRT Huai Khwang station, exit 1, walk 5 minutes. Tarot cards plus a palm reading cost 500 baht (=$15). My fortune teller's name was "Nok" and she was excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment