Friday, June 17, 2011

Cafe 1912

This is a small cafe restaurant located inside the Alliance Francaise building. The menu is all in French, so good luck (if you can't read French!).

The inside:


I ate here after my flute lesson, and was surprised: it's really freakin' expensive!!

I ordered one dish -- cheese gratin -- and it cost 170 baht! (=440 JPY/ $4.40). It was good, filled with ham, pasta and lots of cheese, but that's all I ate. No water, no salad.

My expensive gratin:


The food is quite good, but the Thai staff will tease you if you order in English. It's expensive -- be sure to bring money.

Cafe 1912 is located inside the Alliance Francaise. Walk past the information office, turn left. Glass doors open to the cafe. Alliance Francaise is located on Thanon Sathorn. Walk 15 minutes from BTS Sala Daeng, taking Soi Sala Daeng. Menu: salad bar, set lunches, bread, desserts. 100 baht ++. Site HERE.

5 comments:

  1. I find all your posts about food amusing, but I must say $4"40 is very cheap. Here in Canada a decent meal at a nice restaurant with dessert and drink and appetizer will cost you anywhere from $40-$50. Be grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour mon ami Anna-Lise! ^_^/

    I am really shocked at the cost of an average lunch in Canada. When I was visiting my parents at X-mas, they paid every time, so I didn't really have an idea of the cost.

    $40 - 50 is a lot. Is that for two people? Or just one?

    (laughing) I guess I should be grateful that I consider $4 to be so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last time I ate a an upscale restaurant it was almost $40 for me alone. That's appetizer, drink, dinner and desert. At a normal restaurant that would be the price for two people. But then again I live in a tourist town, so everything is more expensive. Cheers, Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. $40 for one person? Wow. But I understand about living in a tourist area....just wait until Prince Will and Kate arrive. You'll see a big price increase I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had lunch out with my friend Ms.D today and she also commented: "I don't think 170 baht is too expensive. I'm glad someone else says so."

    (laugh)

    Okay, okay I get it. You people all think I'm cheap! I like spending money on traveling...^_^

    ReplyDelete