Sunday, June 5, 2011

Jazz studio

If you follow my Twitter feed, you'd have noticed that I found a jazz flute teacher in Bangkok. A friend once suggested that I, a purely classically trained flautist, should give jazz a try. I surprised myself by finally taking that advice.

Improvisation is so difficult and I am quite sure I cannot pull it off, but I'm willing to try something new.

The studio is located in building C on the grounds of the Alliance Francaise school complex. My teacher will be Mr. Vong, a French guy who can play the piano, guitar and flute. He specializes in Jazz, but knew all the major classical flute techniques/schools too. ^_^

Should be fun. I will start next Friday.

The studio (apologies for the dark picture):

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sel,
    I used to do quite a bit of improv with one of my students, although it wasn't jazzy. It was more the music of our souls as they communicated with each other without words. I no longer teach her and miss her dearly, but perhaps we can try the same experiment via skype sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! My real name!! (laughing) It's French for "salt"... ^_^

    Hm. I like the idea of using Skype for an "improv session". Why not? But I gotta warn you...I've been playing an AWFUL lot of French compositions... my improvs will probably like Saint Saens or something... (laughing)

    I had a pot luck party on Skype once... was really fun. ^_^ Name your time and date. I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jazz flute--awesome! When I was younger, I often listened to Bolling: Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano Trio. Do you know of some other jazz flute recordings?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary H,

    I am an amateur when it comes to jazz, actually. Jazz flute is completely new to me, so I'm afraid I cannot recommend any recordings. Sorry.

    I have lost my motivation to play classical music recently. I lost my "muse" you could say. You know what I'm talking about. ^_-

    ReplyDelete