Saturday, December 3, 2011

Snooker Lesson #1

So....I started studying how to play snooker. I know how to play, but I wanted to learn how to really play.
A member of my Linguistics group plays on a semi-professional team and offered to teach me. The first lesson was held at Sports Academy on Sukhumvit, in Nana.
Shop sign:
The first lesson consisted of some basics -- how to make a good "bridge" and different bridge styles. I took two photos...
Basic bridge:
Loop bridge:
Next, I learned to keep my body low, eyesight even with the cue, and the cue low and level while shooting.
The next part of the lesson was quite intense. I learned various ways to strike the cue ball, and how to create good "leaves" (setting up the cue ball for your next shot). The techniques I learned were:
  • English shot (making the ball spin left or right)
  • a follow shot (making the cue ball "follow" the color ball you strike)
  • a stop shot (the cue ball stops dead after striking a color ball)
I could do the stop shot quite easily, but English and Follow shots are a little harder to master. I will have to practice.

I'll attend another lesson in a couple of weeks. I'm very lucky as my condo has a snooker table for residents to use (free!), so I will practice when I can. ^_^
Sports Academy is located 2F, above Ruamchitt Plaza. Sukhumvit, just before Soi 15. BTS Nana. Price: 240 Baht for one hour (¥700/$7). Between 4~6pm, the pool tables are FREE!

2 comments:

  1. You're lucky to have a great teacher! Please teach me when you've learned enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Takao,

    I thought you wanted to learn pole dancing first..!?!? (laugh)

    ReplyDelete