Saturday, December 17, 2011

冬のソナタ 東京! #3 | Winter Sonata Tokyo

Day 3 arrived and the skies were sunny & clear, but cold.

I was planning to go to a planetarium on this day, but the weather was nice, and a friend suggested walking around the famous tourist spot, Asakusa -- a temple/ shopping district in Tokyo. The last time I visited, the temple was being renovated and completely covered; this time, I could see everything. Lucky! ^_^

I saw the famous gate (the kanji character means "lighting"):

...and got a photo at the pagoda:

I stopped to enjoy some dried fruits at this stand:

Here, while munching, an old Japanese guy asked me in Japanese: "Do you know what that is?" and then proceeded to tell me his life story. @_@ I am not sure why, but wherever I go in Japan, people always talk to me. I think it's either my smile, my blonde hair or the fact that I can speak Japanese. (shrug)

I walked around some more and enjoyed looking at these....

...outdoor food stalls. We have these in Bangkok too. I think it's amusing that even in cold weather, Japanese people enjoy sitting outside, eating and drinking. I like this culture very much.

Culture point: These red lanterns are hung outside of restaurants in Japan...it means alcohol is served at the shop.
After exiting Asakusa, I happened across this...

...a Taiko shop! Taiko is word for a traditional Japanese drum. The sound is quite loud and these drums are a common scene at festivals. I've always wanted to study because I love drums. ^_^

Later in the evening, I met a fan of my blog for dinner and to enjoy the lunar eclipse. We went to a restaurant on the 53F in Shinjuku. Check out the view!
A little bit of cutenekko history:
One year ago, at this time, I got dumped by a guy. I was quite upset, so I wanted to replace that bad memory with a nicer one. That's why I wanted to enjoy a gorgeous view -- to forget the past and celebrate all the positive things that have happened to me since. It worked. ^_^

After eating, we went outside to watch the last of the lunar eclipse....

The moon...
It was freezing cold, but I held on to the end to watch. This was a great day. ^_^

Asakusa temple is located in Asakusa. Access: Tokyo Metro to Asakusa station (Ginza or Asakusa lines).

The restaurant with the nice view was called "Dining Out". Location: Shinjuku Center Building, 53F. Website: http://r.gnavi.co.jp/g640000/

No comments:

Post a Comment