Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Cooking Lesson #2 | 日本料理

My long life in Japan heavily influenced my eating habits. The result? I really, really love Japanese food. Living in Thailand, I eat Thai food, but I can't help but miss the taste of my other "home".
I have a Japanese friend here, who is an excellent cook, so I asked her one day: "Can you teach me how to make some Japanese dishes?" She eagerly agreed. So, each Friday, we meet, chat, cook and play with her doggie. ^_^

On this day, I learned how to make "croquette", which is a fried cutlet. This was stuffed with potato and ground pork.

First, I fried up the pork...while boiling the potatoes.

After mashing, we added the potatoes and some onions....
After that cooled, we formed the potato into oval shapes (& one heart -- my friend said to do this..for my blog fans! Haha!)
Next, we covered them with flour, dipped the potato-mix into egg, and coated them with bread crumbs.
Flour:
Egg & crumbs:
Finally, into the fry pan! My fear of frying things is slowing disappearing....^_^

The final presentation was so impressive, I thought! Rice, miso soup & the croquette:
Inside:
I am not a dog fan, but my friend's toy poodle is pretty darn cute. He's winning me over...
My cooking partner.. Shinnosuke君♡:

My friend also loves potato -- so much so, she asked if I would teach her how to make mashed potatoes.(!!) This is something all Canadians are experts in...so we'll study together next week. ^_^

6 comments:

  1. You're really great cook! I wanna eat what you cook some day. You also remind me of my mother in hometown! Takao

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Takao,

    Thanks for your nice comment!

    When I move next year, I want to have a small party in my home.
    I'll cook for my friends, so if you come, you can try my cooking. ^_^

    I remind you of your mother? She's 外人 too?? (laugh) Sorry, I like making jokes...^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. best poodle ever! But can she really fit into a teacup? I am wondering... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Corgi! Welcome back!

    (whispers) "She" is really a "He". ^_^

    He definitely cannot fit inside a teacup. He recently went to the salon for a trim. You can see his new hair cut(e) ? hehe... HERE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my god!!! What a handsome little poodle-man!
    I think I am in love ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Corgi,

    He's pretty cute, right?
    But according to the building manager, he's got lots of girlfriends...including one giant Golden Lab! o_O

    ReplyDelete